Help me ID this fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few quick flip throughs the "Reef Fish ID Topical Pacific" didn't help me spot the fish.
Filmed at Gili Isle Indonesia - What are these fish?

FidhID-00.png

Thanks

Darktail Snapper? Some kind of Chub or Emperor?
Do you have a closeup of just one?

Lutjanus fulvus
Mangrove Snappers are Lutjanus griseus. We seine up small ones in late summer here in NJ

I shot a few mangos today. But I don't think Mangrove Snapper are in Indonesia. Could be wrong though.
That comes as no surprise. I only mentioned them because they are incredibly numerous on the East Coast and belong to the same Genus. Lutjanus would make an excellent name for a snappy dog.

Darktail Snapper? Some kind of Chub or Emperor?
Do you have a closeup of just one?
They were shot with H3+B at wide-angle so look smaller even when at moderate distance. will upload the short video clip overnight.

Looks like a darktail snapper but the pectoral fins and tails are not mentioned black in the book. These were also not shiny just an opaque whitish ... the tails are also V shaped or forked here but in the book its more flat... The size description matches though about 1-2ft. But these appeared less slender and more ovalish although not like ovalfishes - the sloping heads match though.
The key variance is that for a darktail - the pectoral ventral and anal fins match the body color - here it is a contrasting black.

Looks like some kind of snapper or emperor fish to me? But its not in the book...

Edit: Wait - a school of humpback snapper that is pure gray?

Ok here is the video

Back
Top Bottom