Question Help me identify this tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Tracy in a scuba context? I haven't seen a 7/8 UNF neck on a non-3500 psi scuba cylinder
There is a 4500 psi carbon wrap scuba tank sold in the US that runs a 7/8 valve. I can't remember who makes it at the moment, that is the only one I have seen and they are pretty rare.
There could be others, I just know of that one.

April 1960 was the first test.
V was the mark of the test facility. It should actually be a diamond.
The plus signifies it passed for a 10% overfill rating, For the most part, all low pressures steels after world war 2 receive a plus mark on their original test.

It is a steel 72.
ICC stands for interstate commerce commission. It was replaced by the DOT in 1967.

Any other questions, just ask.
You rock!

Any idea what the REE number would be if I wanted to get a + rating on the hydro?

You rock!

Any idea what the REE number would be if I wanted to get a + rating on the hydro?

I'd forget the + rating, this is a 63 year old cylinder, when was the last time you saw a + rating on anything over the age of 60? [I include myself as an example of old s**t that no longer gets a + rating].:poke:

You rock!

Yes, I have them written down at home, but it won't do you any good. I can't imagine any hydro shop taking my word for it. It won't get a plus rating.

You rock!

it's similar to the PST 58.4 - I might have it somewhere (Luis has it in some older posts in his spreadsheets) - but unless the hydrotester really really trusts you, unless they have their own data, they probably won't + the tank. I looked for a couple years and finally found one that would. Last time I took tanks there it was a 3 month process of talking to them to look at their records from last time before they would + my tanks and then they did not provide any paperwork to confirm the REE. I'm told a shop in columbia, MO will + these old tanks - I have one (actually a Norris) I'll take them later this fall. I have several norris old '72s and even more PST's - all current + stamped! And always looking for more if you need a place to dispose of the tank. :cool:
Talk to your hydro shop if you can - most of them have no idea why a scuba tank needs a +. I was surprised at how many (even those working directly with dive shops) have no idea why an extra 10% is kinda important. Maybe you'll find one that knows or will research and get you a +. For me, my local LDS would always fill my 2250 to around 2000psi - so with the + I at least get a 2250 fill (another place I go is happy to fill them, lets say, a bit more than that)

@Tracy forgot the 4350 psi luxfer hoop wraps. they might as well be bigfoot for all the times i've seen one in the wild.
I have a local paintball guy that owns one. He brings it to me for fills and uses it to transfill his paintball tanks.
That is the only one I have ever seen in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom