Help me purchase my primary cavern diving light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because more is always better? Lol.

fair enough. Other lights I'd rather pay $600 for that will give me 1k lumen for 5 hours though, but I would rather get more light for less burn time. Granted mine does 5 hours at 3500 lumen, so there's that, but I'm also doing 3+ hour dives

Granted mine does 5 hours at 3500 lumen, so there's that, but I'm also doing 3+ hour dives

I’ve got an LX25 li-on that I use as a backup(weird right?). I have run 7 hours on hi with it...couldn’t tell you what the lumen output is, but it’s bright enough.

I’ve got an LX25 li-on that I use as a backup(weird right?). I have run 7 hours on hi with it...couldn’t tell you what the lumen output is, but it’s bright enough.
1000 ish lumens to the lens, probably 800 ish out the front. Should be similar to a new 10w HID bulb

I am cavern certified. My next trip is in a couple of weeks to Morrison Springs.

Many divers that get cavern certified move on to cave classes and diving. Are you certain that your goals do not include cave diving? If they do, I would wait and spend your money on a real cave light. Those seem to be changing almost every year in terms of size and price, so probably the best thing to do now is get small lights that will serve as back up lights in caves should you go that direction. The primary light for cave diving is a big decision that you will want to make with experience, not just what someone tells you on a forum. It's really typical to borrow or rent a few different lights during cave classes and then choose something you like.

Keep in mind that in many systems, the cavern zone is pretty limited and after some experience in that setting, it's very common to want to progress into the cave zones.

it is, but you have to ask if it's a good value for what it is and the answer is decidedly no. The Dive Rite LX20 can be had for $600 and will do the same thing if you want a spot light, but how many people need that much burn time? For cavern/intro diving, grab 3 of the explorer narrow beams and a couple spare batteries. Half the price, and you have redundancy in a smaller package

I agree with buying 2/3 backup type for cavern and possibly intro. It really helps if you are budget sensitive, and you will usually need the back lights at some point.

As far as burn time needed for intro.. I don't think 3/4hrs is overkill at all. Because of 1/6th limitation, I often see intro divers doing 2 or 3 dives in an outing. And what about training? Sure you can change out batteries, but a light like the LX20 will cover you for a day of intro diving, and will carry you through full cave as well.

I will add that a buddy had his LX20 flood(partial) - couple months back. He dropped it off at DR in Lake City and I had it back within a couple days. I have owned a couple Chinese lights. They can be ok, but I consider them disposable if (or when) they go Tango Uniform.

I get the OP is sold on selectable beam/flood options. Just discussion on options.

If they do, I would wait and spend your money on a real cave light. Those seem to be changing almost every year in terms of size and price, so probably the best thing to do now is get small lights that will serve as back up lights in caves should you go that direction.
This may be the best advice in the thread. The quality of dive lights seems to be improving on a daily basis, and the cost of that quality is absolutely plummeting. The high quality dive light a spent a relative fortune for sits unused in my extra parts storage today, and I now use a better light that you can get at a quarter of the price I paid for the old one.

This may be the best advice in the thread. The quality of dive lights seems to be improving on a daily basis, and the cost of that quality is absolutely plummeting. The high quality dive light a spent a relative fortune for sits unused in my extra parts storage today, and I now use a better light that you can get at a quarter of the price I paid for the old one.

This is definitely true. I sold off my UWLD 3500 lumen light and video light as I much preferred the 4500 lumen handheld Big Blue. I really don't see why people would spend $1500+ on a high end light when the Big Blue 4500/4800 are less than $400. There are very few people who need the high end lights to run heated vests etc. The Big Blue light has easily done 5+ hour dives for me. I still have my 20 a/h Light Monkey 34w light if needed but honestly the Big Blue light is better for most dives.

This is definitely true. I sold off my UWLD 3500 lumen light and video light as I much preferred the 4500 lumen handheld Big Blue. I really don't see why people would spend $1500+ on a high end light when the Big Blue 4500/4800 are less than $400. There are very few people who need the high end lights to run heated vests etc. The Big Blue light has easily done 5+ hour dives for me. I still have my 20 a/h Light Monkey 34w light if needed but honestly the Big Blue light is better for most dives.

ding ding, and your two lights are getting PLENTY of use ;-)
that said, I have also recently acquired a Halcyon Flare and am using that on any shorter dives, mainly so I don't have to unthread my LD35 from the bowels of my CCR rig and while I get some light envy when diving with my buddies and miss the small head, you can't beat the convenience and it certainly is "enough" light

I've got a LM 12w handheld. It's my goto light for open water stuff. I'd do a mexican cavern with it, but anything in a cave I want a corded light. In my case, I also want the biggest battery possible so that I have options. It covers me for a week of short dives, or 2 long rebreather dives with plenty of battery left for contingencies. It also lets me plug in a heated vest if I need it.

It's the options I like, and the security that those options give me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom