Help me understand rebreather progression please ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IANTD: Brand new rebreather diver w/zero previous deco experience - can include advanced EANx / ART (advanced recreational trimix) at the same time as CCR diver. Limitations: 140' (air dil) or 170' (ART), light deco (~10-15 minutes)

Interesting. So there is a 1 step training route from OC rec to CCR light tech. For someone who has to travel for training, this is appealing. Also 170' ART CCR with 15 min deco actually gives quite a lot of diving opportunities.

I meant to add that rebreather training is unit specific.

However, I would assume switching between rebreathers is reasonably easy [1]. You need to learn how to assemble and maintain the new unit, and its peculiarities, operation and alarm modes.

Gareth

[1] I have only been trained on the AP Units, and not attempted to switch units.

I like that full trimix is not unit specific with IANTD. I understand the need to get the unit-specific training on a new unit, but not to go through the entire training progression every time one gets a new unit.

Step 3: Full Trimix

TDI: Pre-reqs: 100 dives/100 hours on a CCR, 50 hours on the unit you're getting trained on. At least half the dives must be deeper than 100'. Certification is unit specific.
IANTD: Pre-reqs: 100 dives/100 hours on the specific unit you're doing training on. 25 dives must be between 140-200'. Certification is not unit specific.

I like that full trimix is not unit specific with IANTD. I understand the need to get the unit-specific training on a new unit, but not to go through the entire training progression every time one gets a new unit.

Yeah, I said that. :)

Yes, you did. And I misread what you said too, so I goofed. Ooops.

Time to go get coffee.

I was wondering what I missed! Enjoy your coffee. I certainly understand the need for caffeine :).

Yes, you did. And I misread what you said too, so I goofed. Ooops.

Time to go get coffee.

Out of curiosity what kinds of things are you still finding to learn?

Usually things I haven't run into on a specific unit. I recently dove a different version of the first rebreather I certified on and learned that the cover can press on the OPV and cause you to lose all the air in the loop every time you exhale. Stupid in hindsight, but I hadn't thought about it before it actually happened.

Even from my first few CCR dives I've always been the kind who "plays" with things. During my initial training, I spent a few minutes at 75' changing my PO2, watching what effect it had on my NDL.

I've heard more than one person say the safest hours on your rebreather are your first 25 hours. You're probably still doing written checklists, you are very likely diving very conservatively and are paying very close attention to everything. Then comes hours 26-50. Complacency starts to set in a bit, maybe you don't follow a checklist as religiously, maybe you've noticed that your PO2 doesn't fluctuate so much so you don't pay close enough attention to your computer...

It has become a tradition of mine to watch Mike Mullane's "Normalization of Deviance" talk before every mesophotic/rebreather expedition I do. I highly recommend it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom