Help me understand the different BCD types.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you join a diving club you may be able to meet people who will let you try their gear in the pool or a training lake/quarry.

It also depends where you plan to do most of your diving.
I use a lightweight folding back inflate travel BC in the tropics (Scubapro Lighthawk ) and a Diverite BP/wing if I am doing cold water diving.
The lightweight is IMO perfect for tropical travel and as it is back inflate, good for underwater photography.

Your suggestion to try out a number of options is a good one. Don't be in a rush to purchase and don't limit yourself to only what the LDS sells.
Good advice. One of the things I like about the Hydros Pro I use is that I can swap out the integrated weight pockets for the "Trav-Tek" straps when I travel for tropical diving. Since I only need 4 lbs when diving warm ocean water, I just toss that in the trim pockets and I'm good to go with a BCD that is lighter and less bulky for traveling.

You have had some excellent advice in this thread so far. I will try to add just a little.

As some have mentioned, a primary benefit to the back inflate and the BPW systems is that they greatly help you achieve good horizontal trim while diving. You need to look at the systems carefully, though, if you want that to happen.

I first started to use a BPW when I started technical diving, where horizontal trim is essential. At that time I had a back inflate BCD, the ScubaPro Nighthawk, which I continued to use for recreational diving. It had trim pockets up by the shoulders, and I learned that if I had the same amount of weight in those shoulder trim pockets as I had in my waist pockets, I trimmed out really, really nicely. You can't do that with some back inflate models, though. A shop where I used to work sold Zeagle back inflate systems, and for some bizarre reason, their trim pockets were at the same height as the front pockets. It would not help with your trim at all. It looked to me as if the only benefit to them was that it would make it easier for you to be upright on the surface--which is the opposite of what you want for trim while diving. Other back inflate models have no trim pockets at all.

An advantage of diving with a steel BPW is that it distributes its weight (about 6-7 pounds usually) evenly across the back, perfect for helping with trim. However, that might not be enough weight, and you then have to think where you are going to put that extra weight. When I am flying to a recreational diving site, I usually bring my aluminum back plate, which helps cut down on my total weight, and that brings the same problem to me. Unlike many jacket style BCDs, my wing has two cam bands, and that helps me. I put a weight pocket on each of the cam bands, one on the right side and one on the left. (You have to put the cam bands on in reverse orientation to do that. As a result, I can slip whatever weights I need in those pockets for trim.

I started in a jacket type BC for several years, used a back-inflate BC for ~15 years, and recently moved to a BP/W.

You are correct that BP/W are a type of back-inflate BC, but I tend to categorize them separately (for several reasons, some discussed below), so I think of 3 types of BCs: 1) jacket 2) back-inflate 3) BP/W

From my experience:

Trim: You can achieve good trim in any kind of BC, as long as you distribute the weight correctly. For jacket BCs & back-inflate BCs, you may need trim pockets, or pockets set high on the tank strap to trim out. For BP/W, its more likely that the heavy BP will trim out fairly automatically. However, there is trope that you cannot trim properly in a jacket BC. I believe this is incorrect. It may need more work to do, but you can trim out.

Weights: Jackets & Back-Inflate BCs often are weight-integrated. You may need to add a weight system (as simple as a weight-belt) to a BP/W, unless no extra weight is needed.

On the surface: I have never felt that back-inflate BCs or BP/W pushed me face down at the surface. However, I am generally on my back swimming on the surface.

Unnecessary buoyancy: Any kind of padding or excess fabric will need more lead to sink. It may not be that important to warm water divers, but I like to reduce total weight wherever I can see below). All the padding and extra fabric of a BC = 2-4 lbs of net weight, vs. a minimalist BC or BP/W with no padding.

Cost: You can get very cheap unused jacket or back-inflate BCs on closeout. I got a $200 back-inflate BC from LeisurePro and it lasted me 15 years (and then died). I see a $170 Zeagle jacket on LP right now. Or you could pay $900 for a Hydros. You can also buy used. Just like cars, there are economy models and luxury models. You can put together a BP/W scouring for used components. The cheapest new BP/W is could find was the $350 Dive Gear Express model.

Individual types of BCs Pros & Cons (from my experience):

Jacket BCs - Con - I did not like how when inflated, I felt squeezed, and when deflated I felt the BC loosened. Pros: Some folks like jacket BCs because they feel they float you more comfortably on the surface. As discussed above, I dont have a problem on the surface w/ back-inflates, but maybe that's just me.

Back-Inflate v. BP/W: I prefer either of these, not for any supposed benefits to trim (see above) but because of the jacket con above.
Back-inflate BC: Con: ~2 lbs unnecessary buoyancy for me. Pro: I prefer the H-type, adjustable harness of a BC over the one-piece harness of a BP/W.
BP/W: Pro: My BP weighs 6 lbs, so I can move that from my belt, although total weight doesn't change bc of it.
Con: I dont like the one-piece webbing as it is hard to adjust. I also don't like how the arm straps attach back at the BP. I think I would prefer an H-harness style, with easy adjustment. Note that DIR and other folks insist on a one-piece harness. I could have bought an adjustable harness for my BP/W, but it was more expensive than the very cheap one-piece harness.

I'm quite comfortable in the water, I'm a swimmer and open water swimmer so getting water in my face is fine. I don't think that being pushed forward will be a problem, especially if it's easy to avoid.
I was a swimmer/water polo player/lifeguard before getting into diving. I worked my way through the various types of BCs and ended up with the most basic option of a BP/W and webbing harness. I really enjoy the feeling of freedom in the water from a minimal setup. It's the closest I can get to my childhood dreams of being able to swim like Aquaman.

You'll also save a ton of money by going right to a BP/W instead of buying 2 or 3 different jackets :)

However, there is trope that you cannot trim properly in a jacket BC. I believe this is incorrect. It may need more work to do, but you can trim out.
I agree.

If you start with a basic plate and webbing harness you can always add things you feel you need: shoulder pads, pockets, weight pockets or systems. You can put d-rings anywhere you want on a harness so that takes the place of pockets. I have never found the need for shoulder pads. There are several different ways to deal with weights, depends on how much you are going to carry.
As far as setting up the harness there are some very good videos online that explain how to do it.

I have never found the need for shoulder pads.
I think people who backpack see a need for shoulder pads until they realize that the only time there is any weight on the shoulders is when they are getting in and out of the water.

I think people who backpack see a need for shoulder pads until they realize that the only time there is any weight on the shoulders is when they are getting in and out of the water.
And even then, these are 2" (50mm) wide straps. They distribute the weight pretty well even without pads.

I've been diving a back inflate Zeagle Brigade for the last 5 years and most of my dives are in it. It has integrated weight pockets, as well as utility pockets in the kidney area, 4-5 D-rings and I added an expandable pocket on the cumberbund. I'm normally a full face mask diver so the pockets come in very handy for carrying both a spare mask and a spare 2nd stage with a QD fitting so I can switch setups at any point during a dive if necessary. It has a set of trim pockets on the lower cam band and then I added an extra set on the upper cam band so I can place the majority of my weight along my spine, as opposed to on the sides where the integrated weight pockets are located. This helps me trim out very similar to how a BP/W trims out since the majority of the weight is on m back. I'm very comfortable in that rig. That being said, I'm ordering a Halcyon BP/W this weekend, as I've been diving one my last few dives to see how I like them. We put our students in them at the shop I work with (if they choose) so I have access to them any time. I do like the minimalism to them, but that's also a downside since there are no additional pockets (they can be added). I'm not 100% certain how I feel about the 1-piece cinch harness just yet but I think that's because I'm just not used to it yet. I do like that with a steel plate I don't have to add as much weight to my rig because it's already there. My main reason for a BP/W is that I can configure it for just about any type of diving I want to do, which will eventually include backmount double, sidemount, and maybe some day CCR. There is obviously some additional investment that must be made in order to dive each setup, but it's just swapping out the wing for the one that coincides with the diving I'm doing (and a buttplate for sidmount). Do you have to spend the $$$$ on a Halcyon rig? No of course not. It just happens to be a brand my shop sells and since I'm a DM (almost AI) and I get a pretty nice discount, I may as well dive what the shop sells. Otherwise I'd likely be getting a Dive Rite setup or building some Frankenstein rig. I know this story probably doesn't help much but maybe it'll give some additional perspective to help with future decisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom