Help ! Need advice about diving with a wounded toe ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all so much for your advices. I just woke up and saw all the messages, and it just turned my smile on again.
I will look for special bandages if they have some around here, otherwise use the glue/latex seal method, keep the wou.d clean and go diving (my first wreck dive tomorrow!)

Again, thank you all so much for taking the time to share your advices and experiences!

You do risk infection exposing an open wound to seawater, which does contain bacteria and other pathogenic organisms.

Funny you say this, I didn't have a problem with the ocean, I had a problem with the stiches causing irritation about 3 weeks later and the wound weeping. Doc took stitches out and wound healed fine.

You know what the say, don't drink water, fish f..k in it.

Apply the antibiotic ointment before you apply the hopefully waterproof bandage. Have access to a good course of meds you can go to at the first sign of redness.

Pack that sucker with a good anti-biotic ointment, wear a sock 1 size small and go dive...once out of the water unwrap, and pour a good rinse of Hydrogen Peroxide over it...enjoy your dives!!

bubs

In the past I've used a plastic bag over my foot up to the calf and taped the hell out it to keep as mch water out as possible. I wore booties and a wetsuit as well. Kept my foot quite dry. May work as an extra barrier with your other ideas. Have a great time diving:)

You have to put things into perspective too, there is probably at least the same amount, or maybe more, harmful bacteria in your shower, bath, bed, than in the ocean.

You have to put things into perspective too, there is probably at least the same amount, or maybe more, harmful bacteria in your shower, bath, bed, than in the ocean.

I agree, but you are used to them, and I hope that you usually have no open wound where they can easily go. That's why I'd keep the wound as sterile as possible. Maybe is an overshooting, but better safe than sorry.

Ehm, I mean, can we get a picture? I have a hard time figuring out why such a wound would be a "nono", unless half your toe is hanging and you're bleeding.

I'd just avoid keeping the booties on for ages after the dives, as that does get a bit yuk yuk in my opinion.

Just to qualify myself, I am not a medical professional, but am certified as a Wilderness First Responder, so have trained in the treatment of wounds in a non-sterile environment.

Never apply alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to an open wound as you will destroy tissue as well as cause pain. Rinse with clean water and then apply a sterile dressing. (antibiotic ointment can also be applied, if available). You can clean the skin around the wound with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.

Clean, salted fresh water, can be used to soak or rinse, but not sea water. One is sterile enough to be safe, the other is not.

Hope this is useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom