Help needed for DIY battery replacement of Scubapro 330 bottom timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

henkisdabro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I have a Scubapro 330 bottom timer with a battery that ran out on me. After googling and finding some tips I went ahead and opened it up. I managed to desolder and re-solder a new battery onto the board and before replacing the covers I could see that the timer was working nicely!

I epoxy glued the back cover on again and after drying continued to refill it with liquid paraffin oil. To ensure that no air bubbles remain inside I used a vacuum-pumpable container (for food). I basically submerged the timer in oil and placed it inside the container and pumped away. I could see air escaping as expected from the timer and all seemed well....

When opening the container, taking out the timer – ensuring it was properly oil filled – and replacing the rubber plug, I could see that the timer now appears in dive mode and shows I am at 7.5m depth! I replaced it into the vaccuum-pumpable container and pumped out the air, and it rises to 0m again at the negative pressure inside.

In other words, it seems the timer has re-calibrated itself to 7.5m at air/surface – is there a way to recalibrate it again and a better way perhaps to replace the mineral oil without getting this problem again?

Thanks in advance,

Reactions: Pao
I suggest you look at this site: Service List
I sent in a UWATEC oil filled unit after doing a LOT of research on the subject of battery replacement.
It kind of looks bad for replacement for your unit.

Last edited:
I suggest you look at this site: Service List
I sent in a UWATEC oil filled unit after doing a LOT of research on the subject of battery replacement.
It kind of looks bad for replacement for your unit.

Thanks for your reply. Your links are broken, I can't access the sites. Actually I am not ready to give up yet, the battery replacement is very doable and was actually successful - only thing is that the calibration seems off - hoping some technical/electrical helping
soul can provide some insights.

Used to be called [Brass Anchor Scuba Center], which is what I used and came up with it. Now called [UWATEC Dive Computer Battery Replacement]. URL is [http://battery.mypressonline.com/index.htm].
He's probably the most experienced guy available. He doesn't do them anymore. If I remember correctly, the issue is calibration goes to hell if the battery dies, and there is no way to properly calibrate them again. He can deal with the oil and the battery change.

Updating on the progress here, should anyone look for help on this.

As of now, since when I filled it with oil and closed it up with the plug, the computer actually reset/recalibrated itself overnight, so now it is working as expected. I tried it in the pool (1.5m depth only), but at least it is working. Will post further information after proper dives.

Amazing that the battery indeed can be replaced without having to purchase a new computer for USD250+ !

Hi everyone,
I have a Scubapro 330 bottom timer with a battery that ran out on me. After googling and finding some tips I went ahead and opened it up. I managed to desolder and re-solder a new battery onto the board and before replacing the covers I could see that the timer was working nicely!
Was the battery completely dead ie. the screen was blank?

Back
Top Bottom