Help needed--historical information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Help !!!
Historical information needed!

As most of the diving world knows a diving inventor and his wife visited Betty and I for a week several years back- with the express purpose of doing research for a book- at the end of the week they managed to walk off with a truck load of one of a kind equipment, historical diving books, all my French diving books, some of my original research from the computer and a number of spear guns, my gold wedding band and even my granddaughter's air rifle...I assume I do not need to mention names

Yes, a police report was made and now an open end John Doe and Jane Doe bench warrant will be issued- according to officals they are currently living in San Diego where he is being treated for terminal desease, so the locals police officals won't touch him..they are waiting for his DOC (Date of Croaking) which as we all know will create a great civic improvement and rid diving of at least one liar, cheat and theif. At the time the officials will move on his wife; premeditated grand thief home burglary which will reward me with her being incarcerated under present guide lines for about 15 years, but in the future they will probably take her libaray card from her....but she will have a felony record!

I suspect most of the items incuding all my historic research and documentation has probably been tossed by now...

I am in a bind and need some assistance. I am presenting "The history of diving regulators-1860 to1960" to the San Luis Obispo Underwater Search and Recovery team at their 3 annual conference in April.

I have adequate coverage for Rouquayol, Denayrouse & Cousteau.

I need drawings, pictures descriptions, etc of the following;

1) Fernez mouth peice - (I have one picture from the Compleat Goggler)

2) Le Prieur (A mint copy of Le Prieu's 1957 book Premier de Plongee was part of their loot)
a) Le Pieur- Fernez Diving Unit of 1926
b) Le Pieur Diving Apparatus of 1933

3) Commeinhes- Rene & George
a) Commeinhes regulator-
b) Commeinhes tank
c) Commeinhes tank block

I appreciate that this is a late notice...and I certainly will appreciate any and all assistance that you can provide.

You may contact me on this board or by PM

Thank You,
SDM

Hate to add to the list, but several divers never got a refund on Le Crook book that was never published!

Several?

Le Crook left the event with over $4000.00!

We estimate he took me for over $10,000.00 hard earned California dollars--and his wife who is as or more guilty as he is will pay for the crimes

If you want I have his address in SD---PM me!

sdm
sdm

Your very welcome sam, I herd and had little info of a compressed breathing in those days, and herd of different spearguns made, and that link popped up and to see that speargun he had in that vid really was a shock and it looks to be bulky maybe but I bet it was accurate and had major power. I could be wrong about how well it worked, but I would like to have that gun more than anything in the world.

Lecrook did refund my money for the book I paid for.
I'm sorry that my very good friend Sam Miller was ripped off by his supposed friend.
Jerry

Sam, I hope this helps.

Bill
SoCal

Attachments

• Jean Painlevé1935.JPG
    Jean Painlevé1935.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 195
Dead dog- Bill

Fantastic! A 1935 unit with a U/W camera!

I note you are a UPS member--The patch is of a 16 MM Samson camera- I still have one. I was a charter member of LA UPS and one of the founders of OCUPS
This diving world is certainly small..and still multi generational

sdm

Sam, you know who I am.
I used to dive with you out of O.C. ( think now )
On another topic you wrote in one of your many articles that there were two Sampson housings with gun mounts, well you can add another ( third ) one to the list. I have two, an early one with the gun mounts and a later one with a B&H 16mm HR camera inside it.

I have other pictures of other underwater housings if you need any let me know. I might have one like the above Le Pieur.

Dive deep and safe.

Bill Nair

Yes I was with UPS Orange County with you in the same years.

Back
Top Bottom