Help needed servicing/selling DiveRite in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all, Lesson one : I should have checked before departure... Though I am calling for your help and knowledge about Bali dive shops.
I'm currently in Tulamben with a faulty DiveRite BCD inflator hose, whch looks quite specific.
I need to service it or even buy a new one. The guys at LDC coudln't handle it.
Would you know any dive center or diveshop that would either do the job or sell me a DiveRite inflator hose.
This is urgent, thanks.

There are two dive equipment suppliers on Bali; Divemasters and Dive Sport, both have a branch in Sanur. Divemasters Indonesia - Offical Website and Bali Dive Shop - Dive Sport. Give them a call (phone number on the webpage-both companies speak excellent English) and if one of them can help you, either drop into the shop or ask your dive centre to collect the new hose and deliver back to you.

Are you capable of replacing the hose yourself?

This is the only Dive Rite presence I know of in Indonesia. You might have someone call them and see if they can express ship anything to Bali.

Kayaladive ? HOME

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, I'll keep the addresses in case plan A doesn't work.
Plan A in Tulamben is called Eric. Everybody knew about Eric in Tulamben except me, till a few hours ago. I learnt to know Eric in his workshop in the back of an improbable clothes/souvenir shop, he dismantled my hose into pieces and put it straight away into the ultrasonic bath. Despite some weared orings, it looks temporarily adressed for the moment, maybe long enough until I get back home and get the proper new orings from DR.

Eric might not taller than 1,2m, but he's a first class repairman and a character too.
Thumbs up for Eric.

Luko can you send a pic of that shop's sign? "Your one stop clothing, souvenir and reg repair shop in downtown Tulamben!" has got to look interesting in Bahasa.

Great you got the inflator hose fixed so fast. An ultrasonic cleaner huh? Sounds like Tulamben is growing! // ww

I'm interested to know what part broke. I don't think anything on dive rite wings is custom made for them, the inflator hose parts on most BC are generic and standard.

I'm interested to know what part broke. I don't think anything on dive rite wings is custom made for them, the inflator hose parts on most BC are generic and standard.

That's what I was thinking too (?)

I'm betting it wasn't a part but a stuck inflator button (which is why every good clothing store needs an ultrasonic cleaner). I think Luko dives so much maybe it was just a cry for help from his bc? // ww

My first idea was to replace the whole hose I tried with aqualung but the diameter of the part that connects the dump valve to the bladder is different than other brands. Since the bugged part was the power infllator, I could as well replace it with a new mouth inflator as another solution, which needed to find a shop that sells me a power inflator to the corret size of the hose (DR lists only tek brands as compatible, I think there are two standard diameters, 1" and 3/4" and it looks like widespread leisure brands such as Aqualung or Mares are the other diameter )
While dismantling the power inflator button and the ose core valve, Eric told me that the inside oring which is around the shiftng part of the valve is not a completely standard, to his knowledge DR, HOllis or Tek brands provide silmiiar orings with a specific hardness. But tek is hard to find in Bali...

Luko can you send a pic of that shop's sign? "Your one stop clothing, souvenir and reg repair shop in downtown Tulamben!" has got to look interesting in Bahasa.
It's not even a shop on the main road, I don't even remember any sign, just an entrance then you notice clothes and souvenirs hanging at the terrace of a private house i had to be confirmed twice that someone was reparing diving equipment inside. Located near to Sandya restaurant.
..and yes you're right that was the core valve that was so corroded it was partially stuck letting air inflate the BC during the dive.

I'm not sure if those rings are standard but I've only seen one diameter of inflator for sale in dive shops... Deep sea supply makes a tool to disassemble that valve (Hollis has one too but it looks like a copy of the deep sea supply one...so you can choose who you want to support...) and it's cheap probably about $10. I find that I have to clean thst valve and replace rings annually. Just be careful you do not use a ring size too big it will jam in the on position!

Once I was in the jungle in another country about to dive a great cave and someone else dropped my tank with the bc hose on it. Snapped it. Put a stage reg on that tank and manually inflated my wing for the rest of the trip as no replacement hose was available.

Anyways glad you got it fixed but when you can do a check with other bc I think you will find a majority of recreational bc have comparable parts. Dive rite doesn't make the inflator they buy them from the same place everyone else does...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom