Help needed with Philippines critters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took my first trip to the Philippines and was astounded by the variety of life. No surprise, I had trouble identifying some of it. All these photos were taken around Moalboal or Dumaguette. I have the Humann and DeLoach books, but they seem light on the snails which is a few of these. And then other problems. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Photos-51a1db0f.jpgSome sort of snail

Photos-51a2b3e3.jpgA nudi but for the life of me I cannot find it. It appears to lay yellow eggs as the next shot shows
Photos-51a2b466.jpg
Photos-51a2d940.jpgAn unknown (to me crustacean)
Photos-51a2d963.jpgAnother view of the same
Photos-51a2da50.jpgAnother snail/cowrie?
Photos-51a2da92.jpgMy guess is either wite-speckled or headband shield slug but neither matches exactly
Photos-51a03b8e.jpg

Photos-51a5aa39.jpgDon't even know if this is a slug or a flatworm

Photos-51a0163a.jpg
Photos-51a302c0.jpg
Photos-51a424c8.jpgThe body markings are like a lined nemobratha, but it doesn't have the purple rings that that is supposed to have (and looks very different from the several others I saw)
Photos-519df5bf.jpgAnother mystery crustacean. From a night dive.
Photos-519df100.jpg
Photos-519dfb22.jpgAnd a third mystery crustacean from a night dive.

View attachment 172153"The body markings are like a lined nemobratha, but it doesn't have the purple rings that that is supposed to have (and looks very different from the several others I saw)"

That one is jorunna rubescens

Let me send this link to both our dive manager in Dumaguete and our captain on the Azores and see if they can help id any of your critters above.
Isn't it amazing the unique creatures that you see there!

Critter IDs

Hi Eric,
Our Dive Team in Dumaguete was able to id quite a few of your photos, though the first and last photos still remain a mystery.
Click on the photo for the new description.
Hope this helps your records :D

Photos-51a1db0f -  No Idea (looks like a Slug.jpgPhotos-51a2b3e3-Flatworm Discodoris.jpgPhotos-51a2b466-Flatworm Discodoris.jpgPhotos-51a2d940-Xeno Crab.jpgPhotos-51a2d963-Xeno Crab.jpgPhotos-51a2da50-Broadclub Cuttlefish Egg.jpgPhotos-51a2da92-Headshield Slug.jpgPhotos-51a03b8e-Lined Nassa.jpgPhotos-51a5aa39-Ornate Sapsucking Slug.jpgPhotos-51a0163a-Triton Shell.jpgPhotos-51a302c0-Hearth heart Urchin.jpgPhotos-51a424c8 - Redline Jurona.jpgPhotos-519df5bf-Squat Lobter.jpgPhotos-519df100-Bat Volute Shell.jpgPhotos-519dfb22- No Idea (looks like  a crustacean).jpg

Hi Eric,
Our Dive Team in Dumaguete was able to id quite a few of your photos, though the first and last photos still remain a mystery.
Click on the photo for the new description.
Hope this helps your records :D

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to ping you for my unidentified fish too!

It is amazing what's there. I was nearly overwhelmed trying to ID it all (and there are things I just plain gave up on).

My unidentified fish are here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/name-critter/472530-help-needed-philippines-fish.html

And below another batch of invertebrates I'm at a loss on. Thanks for looking!

Photos-51a2b9f3.jpg
An urchin of some sort. Didn't seem to match what I had.

Photos-51a2b22a.jpg
Some kind of swimming crab

Photos-51a2da37.jpg
Need help on the tiny crab, not the mantis

Photos-51a6c7a3.jpg
I assume this is a nudi of some sort, but I cannot find it. Very small.

Photos-51a6f2c8.jpg
This would be a dark knee hermit crab except that it doesn't have dark knees. :)

Photos-51a97e11.jpg
Similar theme. I'd go with (Yellow-tipped) phyllodesium briareum if I could see yellow tips.

Photos-51a72673.jpg
Very cool, but I'm at a loss.

Photos-51a73180.jpg
A cowrie not in my books.

Photos-51a95899.jpg
A curled up mantis shrimp but since photos show the face which is hard to reconstruct here, I'm lost.

Photos-51aae9c4.jpg
Some sort of well camouflaged crab.

Photos-519df7c3.jpg
Body shape looks like a purse crab. From a night dive.

Wow, I have to say this thread has heightened my already high anticipation of our trip to Dumaguete in February! And makes me happy we will be staying at Atlantis, with people who are so helpful in IDing things!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom