Help! Optical sync cord stolen... Need to buy new in Curacao.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GM Cole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know where I can purchase an optical sync cord for sea&sea/olympus cameras on Curacao?

First evening here in Westpunt, condo was burglarized and 2 cameras, 2 housings and all optical sync cords were stolen.

They didn't get the Olympus or the good strobe but I don't have an optical sync cord to use with them now.

Does anybody know where I can purchase an optical sync cord one in Curacao?

Hello, terribly sorry to hear this - we just arrived yesterday and are also staying in westpunt. Can I ask where you are staying and the details of your incident? Terrible way to start a vacation - please feel free to PM me if that’s easier for you.

Try Ruud and Tanya at the Scuba Store and More
Scuba Store & More

Or Mark and Suzy at the Dive Bus
Welcome to The Dive Bus, Curacao - The Dive Bus Curaçao

I am not sure which brands they carry but one of them might have an idea who on the island stocks Sea and Sea or Olympus

Boolchands is the name of our electronics store but I am almost certain I haven't seen underwater equipment there.
Boolchand's | Explore. Seek. Find.

Sorry about your situation. Let me know if we can help......

Maybe try the main Ocean Encounters shop near Lions Dive - I vaguely recall seeing some photo gear/accessories there. Cal - it's a long drive from Westpunt

I live in Curacao and I'm sorry to say that I don't think you will be able to get one here on the island, I had to order mine in the US.

What end connectors do you need on the optical sync cord I have a spare one that you can borrow for the duration of the trip if it fits.

The one I have is this:

Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable

Let me know if that is what you need?

Kevin

Does anyone know where to have (replacement) "instant" passport photos taken in Curacao? The consulate said they were prohibited from specifically recommending anyone. Tramm Imaging is the only one we found from a google search. Any others? Recommendations?

I should have guessed that people would want to know the details of a burglary...

We are staying at the Marazul Dive Resort in Westpunt/Sabana. The unit has a sliding glass door on the ground level. We were careful to secure the sliding pane by placing the wooden dowel provided into the track because the built-in latch didn't work very well. What we were not aware of is that the left pane of the sliding was not fastened shut and was free to open even though the right pane was secured. Thieves simply opened the unsecured left pane and walked in in the middle of the night while we were sleeping upstairs.

The next morning we woke to find the luggage we'd left downstairs was opened on the kitchen floor and several items were missing along with my wife's travel bag that contained credit cards, her passport and iphone (but only a very little cash).

Thieves took a soft-sided cooler in which we had packed two cameras and housings, one strobe the strobe sync cords and a few miscellaneous items. Our olympus camera and housing, good strobe, dive computers and log books and other cell phones were upstairs with us in the bedroom and so were spared. They also left all of the trays and arms and diving equipment. I think it probably would have been too noisy to try to remove those items from the luggage as they were packed in tight.

The police came as did the fellow who takes care of the unit for the owners (who himself is ex-police). they said this was likely the work of amateurs and expected to find the passport and credit cards discarded in the bushes nearby but a (quite long) search turned up nothing. The police said that this was the third burglary in the Westpunt area this month (but the others were at other places, not Marazul). They said this many in such a short time is unprecedented in this area and there must be a new group working the area.

>>>>>>>> I have called all of the places recommended for a sync cord above except for the Scuba Store and More that doesn't open 'till noon today and also called both Boolchand's stores and nobody so far carries sync cables.

Nivel Llekots, the cable you have is just what I need. I may want to take you up on your offer. I will message you later. Right now, we've just spent another half day on the phones to the US consulate about the passport and to the bank about the debit cards and we need to get in the water!!

Thank you all for the recommendations so far.

Tramm's is where we had our passport photos taken.
On the ring road, go over the big bridge. Take a right at the 5th set of lights between McDonalds and KFC
Go 50 yards. At the rotary, roundabout, or circle depending on where you live..... go to 11:00. This is Caracasbaaiweg.
At the lights, take a right. You will pass another McDs and many stores. Tramms is on the left, just a bit back on the road. You'll see the sign for Acoya Resort beside it. If you come to satellite dishes, you have gone too far.
Yes, you can have photos taken at Samson but.... I do know for sure that the size at Tramms is right for US passports. It only takes a couple of days to get a new passport.

Since you've driven that far....... Further down the road and to the left is the Dive Bus, Mambo Beach, the Sea Aquarium, The Pelican, and Ocean Encounters.
Back up at Caracassbaaiweg, if you take a right and follow all the way to the end, take a left and meander a little you will come to the Tug Boat site.

The offered cable to borrow is "kinda" in that area.....

When I googled Curacao dive photo store it hit on Atlantis Diving in town but I thought they were mostly guides. worth a calll

Did you check with GoWest at Lodge Kura Hulanda - it's a pretty complete shop.

Hi Diversteve-

We are currently diving with Go West and they don't have any photo equipment unless... is there a different Go West actually *inside* Kura Hurlanda? (I would think they might have told me about it when I was asking "our" Go West about a replacement cable.)

At any rate, I'll be borrowing a cable from Nivek Llekots.

I want to thank everyone again for all the suggestions and good will.

Kudos for the locals for coming to aid in time of need.....nice to see...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom