Help planning a refresher with Under the Jungle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Natalie and I have been emailing back and forth about a "mexician style" sidemount (I trained in Hollis SMS 75 with steel tanks) and Intro to Cave refresher course. She has been well reviewed on SB and I like the fact that she too is a petite female. She recommended allotting 5 days (with 1 of the days a just in case day) which seems a bit much to me and will take more planning then I originally anticipated. But willing if that is what it takes to get squared away for full cave. I already have a trip to Cozumel June 24 to July 4 planned so it could be done sometime then.

So a few specific questions.

Is June/July just too hot to plan a class? Should I reschedule and dedicate a trip just for this?
Best place for a single female to stay?
Will I need a rental car?

And specific to Under the Jungle.

What can I expect on an average course day? I know this is vague but I am a bit of a type A and don't always do well with a lot of down time.

Is there perhaps decent ocean diving nearby that my significant other can do if he decides to come across from Cozumel for the days I do cave?

Anything else I should know to get the most from this trip?

Thanks.

As far as the weather it is hot but not unbearable. I wouldn't think you need a car if you coordinate with Natalie. Generally they will pick you up and drop you off. Just an FYI Aerolito on Cozumel is an excellent cave dive if you are staying there.

It'll be hot but not too bad. Drink water.

Where you'll want to stay will be based on where you plan on basing yourself out of, PDC, Tulum, Puerto Aventuras, etc. Needing to rent a car will be the same. Typically they'll pick you up and drop you off at your location.

Average course is land drills, followed by a dive, debrief, lunch, then another dive. It seems fairly standard for training down there.

Ocean diving is all over PDC, Cozumel, Akumal, etc. It's alright. The turtles in Akumal are cool. PDC is meh. Cozumel is better.

Unless Eric decides to come over for reef dives we will be based in Cozumel. Probably just me on the mainland so would prefer someplace "safe" and close enough that I don't need a rental car. Natalie mentioned they were building a lodge but not sure the timing for completion.

The alternative is to plan a separate trip just to train with Natalie.

@bamafan I have an email into German Yanez. I will also be in Cozumel February and checking on the option of a guided dive then.

Unless Eric decides to come over for reef dives we will be based in Cozumel. Probably just me on the mainland so would prefer someplace "safe" and close enough that I don't need a rental car. Natalie mentioned they were building a lodge but not sure the timing for completion.

The alternative is to plan a separate trip just to train with Natalie.

@bamafan I have an email into German Yanez. I will also be in Cozumel February and checking on the option of a guided dive then.

5th Ave in Playa has some really nice places and you can walk to restaurants. Tulum is similar just not quite as ritzy. There are numerous all inclusive resorts along the highway between Tulum and Cancun that would work. Have you asked Natalie if doing the class on Cozumel is an option. Since it is a refresher course and no card needs to be issued it could all be done at Aerolito. This might be an option and you wouldn't have to rent some where else to stay. I am sure Natalie would charge more for her time crossing over but it might be something you want to consider. There are other caves on Cozumel but most of them require a jungle hike.

As far as getting German to guide you he is an excellent choice. He is a really nice guy. If you are looking for a highly decorated cave the majority of Aerolito isn't highly decorated like the mainland and it is a darker cave. Wonderland in Aerolito is decorated and beautiful but is best done as a single stage dive. Queva Quabrata is just down the road and is a beautiful cave. Still darker than the mainland but definitely decorated more than Aerolito. The sacrificial mound is definitely something to see. You can definitely do it without stages even though the Deep Sea Detectives made it sound like some extreme dive. They swam right by a jungle cenote that is probably about 1000' from it. It made for better tv going in where they did. German will be able to get you there and the hike isn't that bad. I love the caves in Mexico and wish I could go more often.

Here are some pics of Aerolito from a year ago

https://m.facebook.com/laurent.miroult/albums/10208518476028507/

Here are some pics of Queva Quabrata. The sacrificial pile is towards the end of the pics

https://m.facebook.com/laurent.miroult/albums/10208669260998037/

Probably more than you want to know but I am passionate about the caves there.

[...] someplace "safe" and close enough that I don't need a rental car.

I would look for a place within the gated (tourist) side of Puerto Aventuras. Close to Under the Jungle for them to puck you up easily, and as safe as it gets around there.

I agree with kafkaland regarding staying in PA. I bet the place over the shop will be finished long before your trip, but PA has several restaurants and it's a nice place to walk around. It's very touristic.

I did intro in 3 days; they were long days with very little downtime, although mostly I worked with Vince. I think you'll find Natalie to be an excellent teacher and I wouldn't be worried about downtime. She'll keep you busy. If you finish your class early, I'm sure you can go on a few guided dives and that, to me, is the perfect way to end a course.

It is very hot in the summer there, but everyone's heat tolerance is different. To me the big nuisance on the land drills were the mosquitos; bring some bug repellent. And since this is a refresher, maybe you won't have as much time doing land drills anyways.

I also love German, I did cavern with him on Cozumel several years ago. He's a great guy and an extremely accomplished diver, although he has been a bit less reliable for guiding the last few times I've tried to schedule stuff with him. But if you've never met him, it's definitely worth the effort to get on his schedule.

One question, what's 'mexican style' sidemount? Is it with a wing that tacos? hehe

Thanks @halocline and it was in large part from your thread that I learned of Natalie and Vince. As a smallish female myself the appeal of an instructor close in statue if not age was hard to resist and adding that to the recommendation from yourself and others on SB it was a no brainer decision.

I have confirmed 4 days with her during my Cozumel visit and if we finish up the refresher we can do some fun dives or maybe start working toward full cave.

I am pencilled in for the lodge but keeping PA as an option.

Diving cave with a helmet and mounting the lights there is new to me. Did you guys take something with you or set it up there? I have backup lights but will be renting the primary.

Still waiting to hear from German.

One question, what's 'mexican style' sidemount? Is it with a wing that tacos? hehe

I think she was referring to sidemount diving with aluminums and wetsuit instead of Florida style with steels and drysuit. I could totally be wrong though and she absolutely could have meant that she would be smuggling some tacos with her in her thigh pocket for a lite lunch at the turn. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom