Help please ... planing a Galapagos and maybe Machu Picchu trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been to the Galapagos but it i on my list for next year.

When it comes to dive computors, ALL dive opeator that I have been diving with are making dive computors MANDATORY.

Tables are getting quite complicated for multiple dives per day.
I am quite capable of working tables (likely I'd use Huggins' no-bubble). Even if one demonstrates table competence they'll force a computer on you?

Thanks.

I can't speak to Galapagos diving as unfortunately, I've not been.

However, I've been to Machu Picchu. To me, it's a must do trip. We flew into Lima late at night and stsyed at a hotel directly across from the airport, returned to airport in the morning for our flight to Cuzco. We stayed in Cuzco for a couple of days to acclimatize and were able to store our larger suitcases at the hotel while we went on to Machu Picchu by train. The train ride was enjoyable, just make sure you're not on the backpacker train, which you may not enjoy as much. We then stayed in town (Aquas Calientes sometimes called Machu Picchu Pueblo). We took the bus up the winding road to the site. The first day, we took a guided tour but the second day we showed ourselves around. I thought it an amazing place and would love to go back. I regretted that we didn't stay a bit longer but my friend thought two days was the right amount of time. :)

We returned to our hotel in Cuzco, retrieved our luggage, stayed the night and the next morning flew back to Lima to continue our time in Peru.

If you have the time and resources, I urge you to go. And if you've even more time and resources, go to Argentina too, which has a tremendous amount to offer. That said, I'm encouraging you to go there especially to visit the Iguazu Falls. Spectacular, but again we only gave it two days whereas I'd have happily stayed another day or two.
Great advice, we will take it.

I've been to Machu Picchu, haven't been to Galapagos, YET:D. I wonder if it makes sense to do the Machu Picchu portion first then dive. Altitude then diving versus diving then altitude.

Another question would be whether 7mm is sufficient. For me, I think I'd prefer diving a drysuit given the water temps.

Finally, does your friend have sufficient diving experience to be comfortable with Galapagos conditions?

Sounds like a fantastic trip, good luck, have a great time and report back!
Good thought, MP first.

Dry suit, maybe.

He'll be here in HI to dive with me in Sept. If I don't think he is up to it, he'll snorkel in the Galapagos.

We did Machu Picchu before our last Galapagos trip in October 2015.

We left our dive gear at the hotel in Lima, Peru and then picked it up before our flight to Guayaquil.
We did the 4 day Inca trail trip after just one day in Cusco and then spent another day in Sacred Valley and a day in Cusco exploring. The Inca trail was an amazing experience. I would have liked another day in Machu Picchu but my wife was happy with just one. We did the Wayna Picchu hike - if you are doing the trail I probably wouldn't recommend it - it was a bit of an ordeal to hike 4 days without really a shower then see all these fresh smiling faces who took the train and just flew past us on the trail. If you are going by train to Machu Picchu it is a definite must do in my mind.

We had a day in Guayaquil before flying out to San Cristobal to meet the Galapagos Sky.

There are a few considerations - some people would say dive and then hike. Others would say do the hike first then dive - which is what we did. The issue is the risk of altitude sickness or injury ruining your dive trip - we had no issues but parts of the trail to Machu Picchu hit 14, 000 ft. Machu Picchu itself is only 8000ft.

If he is a novice diver I might think twice - he should be very comfortable in fast drifts - these are not always easy dives like the Caribbean. Do a lot of training and diving before you go.

I would rethink the computers - most of the liveaboards mandate them.

I would rethink the Hero - the gopro is a simple camera/video and perfect to capture your underwater trip - use your good camera for Peru.

Have fun - Machu Picchu was amazing.
If my buddy appeared ready for the central coast of California, would that be sufficient?

Computers has so many problems ... even if I wear it I will not be using it.

Thanks for the camera advice, I am looking more for experiences than photos.

He'll be here in HI to dive with me in Sept. If I don't think he is up to it, he'll snorkel in the Galapagos.

Mmm, have you done much research on the sites to dive at the Galapagos? If you look at the live-aboard web sites they will give some dive itineraries. There are other websites that can then give you a bit more detail on the sites. Most of the dive sites are deeper than snorkelling and many have moderate to strong current. It may not be the best option to go the Darwin or Wolf and snorkel. The Naturalist tours tend to have itineraries that include snorkelling. I am doing both.

Attached is a document I am working on to give details of the proposed sites on my trips itinerary.

The water temp varies significantly between sites, the northern sites may be okay in a 7mm, but people I have talked to says they have had water at 12-15C in the western sites at depth.

Attachments

• GI Sites.xlsx
    531.9 KB · Views: 135
Mmm, have you done much research on the sites to dive at the Galapagos? If you look at the live-aboard web sites they will give some dive itineraries. There are other websites that can then give you a bit more detail on the sites. Most of the dive sites are deeper than snorkelling and many have moderate to strong current. It may not be the best option to go the Darwin or Wolf and snorkel. The Naturalist tours tend to have itineraries that include snorkelling. I am doing both.

Attached is a document I am working on to give details of the proposed sites on my trips itinerary.

The water temp varies significantly between sites, the northern sites may be okay in a 7mm, but people I have talked to says they have had water at 12-15C in the western sites at depth.
Thanks.

Computers has so many problems ... even if I wear it I will not be using it.
Many of us have dived well before computers. I find that the computer does a great job and definitely gives longer NDL than tables. I have no problems using tables on multi-dive/day repetitive trips, but the computer is easier.

What are you considering as the problems? We may be able to offer some mitigation or reassurance. I do dive with two computers just in case one has a problem, and I do check the battery regularly and carry spares!

Are most of the dives multilevel or squarish? I tend to dive squarish, if the opportunity is there. As little depth change on a dive as possible, so the NDL advantage actually goes to the tables.

It's a situational awareness thing, computers do calculations that many divers can't manage, I get that, but they also make even good, attentive divers complacent, insufficient situational awareness. Wait for the beep and then start up, keeping from beeping on the way up kinda diving ... just not my style.

As stated earlier I am going the MP first. Now that we are packing (be there in 3 weeks) I am seeing some challenges. We are doing the 4 day trek and expect the temperature to dip to about 0C at night, up to 20 in the day. This now means taking some serious warm gear and that takes space, just for a few days. We finish the trip in the Amazon, the climate will be the opposite but we still need long leg and sleeves for insect and other protection but light weight. We will layer but it would be a lot easier not to have mixed the conditions as much :)

My plans for clothes: Down parka, watch cap, baseball cap, light neoprene gloves (double for some diving). 2pr. ripstop nylon cargo pants with zip off legs, Patagonia top, 2 cotton tees, 3 pr cotton socks, 2 pr wool socks and light hiking boots.

Should I take a hiking tent and down bag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom