Help Solve This Mystery (SoCal sea cucumbers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Before I kick the bucket , there are two mysteries I'd like to clear up. I've sent images of these two sea cucumbers to several echinoderm experts and no one has been able to give me an ID. Both were found off Catalina Island's leeward coast. I suspect both species are in the genus Holothuria due to the Cuvierian tubercles they released.

If anyone can give me an ID, I'd be grateful.

Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

1st question: is the "Star Thrower" designation a reference to the book by Loren Eisley of the same name? :)

I would contact this guy:

Dr. Brian Bingham | Huxley College of the Environment

He was my invertebrates professor in college...and I have talked to him a few times over the years for this exact scenario. He has never left me without a positive ID :)

Please, keep this thread updated :)

1st question: is the "Star Thrower" designation a reference to the book by Loren Eisley of the same name? :)

I would contact this guy:

Dr. Brian Bingham | Huxley College of the Environment

He was my invertebrates professor in college...and I have talked to him a few times over the years for this exact scenario. He has never left me without a positive ID :)

Please, keep this thread updated :)
Second vote for Brian. He's a good guy, and if he doesn't know can point you in a good direction.

Yes, I gave my business that name about 35 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom