Help this Canadian get into Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leelee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Help, I am a canadian OWSInstructor and would like to become Course Director. I have a special friend moving to Hawaii for school and will be moving there as well. My question is HOW??
I need to find a IDC center that will help me with my F1 and I will work for them and learn to become Course Director.
Is that unresonable?
I never knew how hard it is for Canadians to move to the states especially on a dive instructors budget.
The only thing I know I can offer is my experience and work ethic,
Please give me your advice!!

What are the chances of becoming a Course Director in Canada and then making the move? You've essentially picked one of the highest cost of living areas in the country to make your attempt.

On top of that, there are plenty of US mainland Instructors moving here on a regular basis, and being citizens, their employment would be relatively hasslefree for their employers. You'd have to really have a lot going for you.

Timing could be everything. I met a guy who came over here a couple years ago during the last busy week of the season. He was a former PADI World Top Producer, mentioned in the quarterly magazine and everything, his employemt at this particular shop lasted all of 8-10 days and then it slowed down. He actually got released for another reason but it was more or less inevitable, gotta keep your regular employees working. Don't know if he ever hooked up anywhere else, Haven't seen him since.

Point being, it's hard enough for any instructor coming over here to make it if living on a dive instructor's budget is a concern. Have your ducks in a row before you come over.

Good luck.

I was under the impression (perhaps wrongfully so) that the Course Director Training Course was only held a couple times each year on the mainland... who offers it here in Hawaii?

kidspot:
I was under the impression (perhaps wrongfully so) that the Course Director Training Course was only held a couple times each year on the mainland... who offers it here in Hawaii?

You are correct, I am hoping to find a shop that would ïntern me until the course.. really I am trying to find a way to be in the states for a period of three years. that a) is not against the law b)gives me a small form of income c)allows me to continue in the diving business.
I am thinking that is the best way to get a student visa is to get an IDC center to be my educational facility. I don't know, I have researched everything, there has to be a way in. Aside from going to the University myself and paying incredible tuitions

kidspot:

I would think that if Maui Dive shop doesn't do it, nobody here does. Nobody in Kona is big enough. Don't know about Oahu, but I do think MDS is the biggest company in the state. We (Kona dive shops in general) get a couple IDCs a year done here, so it is possible to get all the way to Staff Insturctor and probalby Master Instructor here, but I suspect you are correct on the mainland trip. I've never even thought of persuing a Course Directorship so I've never looked into it.

leelee:
You are correct, I am hoping to find a shop that would ïntern me until the course.. really I am trying to find a way to be in the states for a period of three years. that a) is not against the law b)gives me a small form of income c)allows me to continue in the diving business.
I am thinking that is the best way to get a student visa is to get an IDC center to be my educational facility. I don't know, I have researched everything, there has to be a way in. Aside from going to the University myself and paying incredible tuitions

I believe Island Divers Hawaii on O'ahu is an IDC shop. They got their PADI 5 star then something about IDC. I only dive for fun, don't care about the instructor area so I am not sure. You can look at their website and contact them through it.

You might also consider talking to Maui Dreams Dive Co -- I'm pretty sure they're a full IDC, and someone there just got their Course Director status, too...

leelee:
a) is not against the law b)gives me a small form of income

I am a Canadian who lives in Hawaii. The above two things are not easy to combine - trust me!

I don't think PADI dive centres are able to issue the proper forms for student visas. Of course, I may be wrong. Depending how long the course takes, you could probably do it on a tourist visa but wouldn't be able to get paid while you're there.

Some random thoughts:

- Community college is much cheaper than university
- Sometimes, dive shop employees are paid in cash
- Tourism is not the only eay to earn money diving
- These aforementioned methods often involve being paid in cash
- Sometimes shops will let you teach in exchange for stuff like equipment and free dives
- If you get to know somebody in the business really well, they might help you get an H1-B visa
- If your "special friend" holds dual citizenship, a trip to City Hall may be in order
- If your special friend is a diver, they may be able to meet people in the business who can help you

Of course, if you get caught doing any sort of illegal work that violates the terms of your visa, you will be forever banished from the United States. I'm often tempted to do this, but the risk is too great.

Maui has 2 IDC's - Lahaina Divers http://www.lahainadivers.com and Maui Dreams http://mauidreamsdiveco.com/dive/index.php - I have seen the course directors for both places listed on the Lahaina Divers site, so it would appear that it's the same instructionally either way. MDS is SSI I believe and does not offer PADI fwiw.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom