Help...WB issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

Was just about to through down the cash for a Sony HC-42, which until then i thought was pretty ok for an entry level purchase (as i only get about 1 dive in a month) when i asked about manual WB throught the LANC (sony remote)...to which the salesman said "i think it does it...is that important?". It turns out that you cant manually set WB on any sony through LANC- which leaves me a bit scuppered.

The Question- any other (similarly specced/priced) miniDV cams that DO allow easy manual WB? I have electronic controls on a DIY housing (hence the relience on LANC)- is anything going to be compatible?

Cheers for any info- great site, althought the missus is feeling neglected!

Sony cams don't allow for the WB to be changed via lanc... It's too bad...

I use a filter from Ikelite, which makes it look GREAT! Unless you're shooting at night or in dark places, the filter is the way to go. For darkness, lights are good with the filter off.

np251:
Hi all

Was just about to through down the cash for a Sony HC-42, which until then i thought was pretty ok for an entry level purchase (as i only get about 1 dive in a month) when i asked about manual WB throught the LANC (sony remote)...to which the salesman said "i think it does it...is that important?". It turns out that you cant manually set WB on any sony through LANC- which leaves me a bit scuppered.

The Question- any other (similarly specced/priced) miniDV cams that DO allow easy manual WB? I have electronic controls on a DIY housing (hence the relience on LANC)- is anything going to be compatible?

Cheers for any info- great site, althought the missus is feeling neglected!
Except for Sony(and the odd older Canon), no other mfr. makes camcorders with LANC ports.

I'm pretty sure USVH provides MWB control on some of it's models. L&M does for their Bluefin VX-2100 housing. But I think it's all custom circuitry.

You could always just touch the screen with a control rod like Gates and Ikelite do. Ikelite even sells their glands/control arms separately on their website.

Gates housings provide manual white balance controls. They work perfectly. Also, you might to check out my review article on the www.kenstone.net site for Vortex Media's Warm Cards. They are the best (and least expensive ) white balancing tools I have found to date. I mounted the warm card 1 on my slate which is mounted using a flexible arm to my housing. I can WB and then just push it out of the way.:14: Steve Douglas

cheers guys, appreciated

sjspeck- that could be the way to go. Although i would depend on how complicated the WB menu is on the LCD. Should have checked that out at the shop. If i wanted to keep it electric, a servo pin or solenoid (really soft one) might do as an imitation 'finger'!!!

yeah, USVH have a pretty interesting idea with the 'joystick' kind of controls with reed/magnet switches... Although they give no hint as to how they activate the LCD touchscreen.

Cheers again guys

I have never been this shocked. Over the weekend I shot some footage of my dogs in the yard allowing my new A1U to use its own auto white balance. Then I used the Warm Card 1 and manually white balanced. I would have expected the differences to be subtle. WRONG! The auto WB footage almost looked bluish, it looked as if I were shooting underwater, no lights or UR flter. The manually white balanced footage was completely different with beautiful color saturation and tone. I really am amazed. OOOOOh, just can't wait to get this thing in the water-Steve:wink:

I have a LM stngray without WB option, but simply turn camera off and back on when I change depth, pointing it at my slate. This calibrates a new WB based on that depth. Have to say I'm happy with he results.

How about considering the Panasonic NG-400 3 chip.The great thing about this cam is the seperate WB sensor.Unlike the vast majority of other makes/models who set WB through the lens (thus needing the white slate/white fin to act as reference) the Pany's seperate sensor makes constant WB a breeze.
The sensor sits to one side and well back from the lens.This allows the fitting of a piece of pure white card INSIDE the housing and directly infront of the sensor.Set the cam to auto WB and dive.Every time you power up the cam it will reset correct WB irrespective of depth and much quicker and easier than repeated manual setting.

I never even thought of just powering off/on the reset WB...that would be so easy. Are there any reasons why you wouldnt want to be switching the camera on and off so often over an hour, though? wear and tear in the tape heads, or extra stress on the dv tape for example?

Zeamonkey- any videos you could share to take a look? And where in the red sea are you? Im off to Sharm in a week.

I have the Sony DCR-HC1000 and the Amphibico Invader housing. It allows you to set manual WB thru the LANC. I noticed that it also doesn't care even if you have a fixed WB (e.g. outdoor), it sets anyway.

Ciao

Back
Top Bottom