help with 5min classroom teaching presentation topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm supposed to be preparing a 5 minute classroom teaching presentation on any scuba related topic, and I can't think of anything that I can do in 5 minutes without going over.

The last time I did Boyle's law and ended up running for 12 minutes!

Any simple straightforward topics? I was considering buddy signals but that seems too short. Compass navigation seemed too long, and I'd have to provide everyone with a compass, or make sure they all bring one.

It's supposed to be geared towards a basic openwater class, so I figured SMBs was too advanced.

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

What about a simple discussion about how/why the body loses heat in water and how you can minimize heat loss and increase comfort on a dive?

I don't know if a demonstration would fit your criteria, but assembly/disassembly of a scuba unit should be around 5 minutes.

Is this part of an instructor course?

I think I could easily spend 5 minutes on buddy signals.

5 mins is quick...

How 'bout the need to equalize with a picture of the inner ear? You can have 'em all yawn or link it to flying etc...

You have 1 minute for an intro. 3 minutes for the body of the talk and 1 minute to conclude. As this is an intro class - I would focus on the basic equipment package from bottom to top - fins to mask and everything in between (exposure suit, bcd, weight systems vs belt, tank and reg). That should do it.

yes, it's for my ai/dm.

thanks for all the suggestions so far. I like the heat loss in water part because a lot of our students get cold.

5 mins on buddy signals? I guess that's true if I add some more interactive parts.

I guess 5 really is 3 for just the meat. Didn't think of it that way. That would also explain why I consistently go over my time limit.

Is that enough time to present the basic idea that you need to always have enough gas to get you and your buddy safely to the surface? You wouldn't have time to get into a full presentation of Rock Bottom(Minimum Gas), but for beginning recreational depths and Al80s, perhaps a rule of thumb like 10 times the depth plus 300? Anything to get them beyond the "Be back on the boat with 500 pounds" mentality.

How a regulator works

How about the importance of having good buoyancy?

I like the buoyancy topic. That's also something I see a lot of young divers not really pay attention to.

Unfortunately the reg topic was already covered by another candidate. ^_^

I also like the gas management topic.

yay, thanks for all the great ideas guys. Helpful as always!

Back
Top Bottom