help with 5min classroom teaching presentation topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't think of anything that I can do in 5 minutes without going over. The last time I did Boyle's law and ended up running for 12 minutes! ... thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Never use 7 words when four will do.
5 mins on buddy signals? I guess that's true if I add some more interactive parts.
As aquaregia mentioned, you can easily spend 5 min on signals (and still not thoroughly cover the topic).

Just wanted to give an update. I ended up doing a presentation on the importance and limitations of buddy signals. It went great! I got a 4.

thanks again!

:cheers:

I'm supposed to be preparing a 5 minute classroom teaching presentation on any scuba related topic, and I can't think of anything that I can do in 5 minutes without going over.

The last time I did Boyle's law and ended up running for 12 minutes!

Any simple straightforward topics? I was considering buddy signals but that seems too short. Compass navigation seemed too long, and I'd have to provide everyone with a compass, or make sure they all bring one.

Gas planning.

With a little preparation and five minutes, you should be able to show how to plan to have enough gas to get the diver and buddy safely back to the surface from any recreational depth.

Might even save somebody's life, and it doesn't need anything more than 5th Grade math.

Terry

Edit: I see I'm too late. Oh well . . .

You can't teach any topic in 5 minutes, not well anyway. But any topic can be broken down into pieces. For example if I asked you to do a 5 minute presentation on scuba mask. What will you teach, everything? No. Pic a segment. Teach just how to don a mask, or just how to clear a mask, or maybe just the type of glass it is made of and why, pick a piece and make it the topic. Remember, introduction why it is important, the body and review. In the review do not repeat yourself, this is the part where you ask your students questions about you you just presnted to see if they learned. Good luck.

Aphonsis,

You can easily do a 5 minute lesson on hand signals, especially if you follow the standard format. In fact, from memory I did a train smal groups, I used that exact topic.

Basic structure,

Intro (1 min)
body (3 min) - 4 or 5 hand signals getting everybody to repeat them and revision to confirm they have it.
Conclusion (1 min)
Make sure you cover the different learning methods(AVK)

PM me if you want more info, and I should be able to dig up the paperwork.

I can dig up the notes if you need.

Back
Top Bottom