Help with all-rounder fin choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapnBloodbeard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Looking to purchase fins - done a bit of research and trying things on, just thought I'd throw my considerations out there.

Predominantly for travel - warm water diving (I always wear a 3mm, full wetsuit), though I'll be using them in Melbourne (5/7mm) a little too (so, that rules out anything positively buoyant, I think). I've successfully taken my Tusa Solla overseas, so length isn't a big issue there.

I don't do cave or wreck diving. I still like the idea of something a little shorter to help reduce those accidental reef/buddy bumps, but no big deal there.
Decent for current is an absolute must.
I do a bit of photography so having control is also important - eg being able to back kick out of a crowded area near the bottom.
Kick type - I basically flutter kick almost all the time, but I know I need to switch and start learning frog kick a bit more....so i guess, versatility.

I currently have Tusa Solla full foot fins but I'm swapping to open heel. These seem to have decent control as far as I can tell.

- Mares Avanti Quattro Plus seem like they may be a good match, and the excite pro seems very similar though can't get too much info on their differences. Currently the latter is on sale a bit cheaper than the former. I tried on both, the strap of the Excite seemed a little less comfortable for some reason....pushing in the back a bit more...I'm guessing this might just be tension, this can probably be adjusted?

- Oceanic Manta Ray - these seemed super comfortable, don't have a lit of info about their performance though

- Not sure if I should be considering tech-type fins such as the jet fin or the Apeks RK3 for what I need?

I live in Australia, so that rules out the xdeep that often gets a mention on here.

Thanks all!

Cressi Reaction.

-Z

Why those?

They are a good all around fin. Not too heavy or long for airline travel, comfortable, not overly stiff but not flimsy either, can back kick effectively with them, provide good propulsion with either flutter or frog kicks. I have been using a pair for a number of years now and find them both comfortable and durable. In contrast I have a set of old cressi frogs that I use now and again when my wife skives my reactions for use with her drysuit because her reactions wont fit with her suit's boots....the frogs make my feet cramp due to how stiff and heavy they are without offering much more propulsive benefit. I wouldnt hesitate to purchase another set of reactions if I needed new fins.

-Z

This Melbourne store has a sale on fins,try them all on, and no, I do not work for them.
Fins

This Melbourne store has a sale on fins,try them all on, and no, I do not work for them.
Fins
Yeah, I'm heading out to a few shops tomorrow - These guys are one store, I've used Adreno a few times prior. Of course trying one on and saying' well, yeah, that's not uncomfortable' is only part of the picture!

One good thing about this store is that being quite larger you can try a few one without the feeling of staff staring at you from the corner :)

The Mares Avanti Quattro is much-beloved for warm-water diving! Ditch the default straps and go for steel springs.
yeah, these look like a fairly safe bet, I was just curious about some of the shorter ones - though it looks like the Excite Pro are basically the same with a bit of a scoop, so probably get you moving a bit more?

Why the steel springs?

the Excite Pro are basically the same with a bit of a scoop, so probably get you moving a bit more?
I have used the Mares Quattro fins for years, now dive with Mares Excite Pro, I find I have less leg fatigue but with enough power when I need it with the Excite Pro, Anything to make it a little easier with my old legs.
As for warm water travel fins , I use Aqualung Storm fins [with 3mm socks], you really have to try these on in the shop as I found their sizing on the small side.

Back
Top Bottom