Help with all-rounder fin choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing the trade-off [to shorter] is a little less propulsion?
Not really in my case. The stiffer/longer Quattros would yield more propulsion IF I could drive them hard enough. However, I can't/don't, as that leads to early fatigue/cramping. I'm good for about half an hour with Quattros. (If I were diving every week, I'm sure my tune would be different.)

On the flip side, back kicks are more effective for me with the taller sidewall of the Switch.

thanks @shurite7 - helpful post, gives me an indication that the tech-style fins a la RK3 /Jet won't be the best if I want a fin suitable for current.

With the hinge fins like Seawing Nova, I did hear it wasn't great for close control - ie maintaining position close to some coral for photos then backing out of there, and I wasn't sure if the positive buoyancy on those might be a bit much for a 7mm wetsuit...

CapnBloodbeard, Will you be diving in a dry drysuit at all? I have used one in the past down south in what we call winter and I was using jet fins then, it was better than a 7mm [ work dives , never liked jet fins, but did the job].
What we call cold water diving here is a warm bath to the cold water divers on here.
What fins I would wear in a drysuit is not what I would wear in other types of diving apparel ie, wetsuit, rash skin, etc.

Scubapro Go Sports, I got them for travel because the Nova's are hard to pack and realized I like them better for everthing other than drysuit diving. They are shortish but wide, plenty of oomph when you need it, great foot pocket. ANd pretty inexpensive also.

Single tank and pony, wetsuit or not, I can do anything with the nova, not much good for pushing twins

full.jpg

Mares Quattro would be my recommendation

CapnBloodbeard, Will you be diving in a dry drysuit at all? I have used one in the past down south in what we call winter and I was using jet fins then, it was better than a 7mm [ work dives , never liked jet fins, but did the job].
What we call cold water diving here is a warm bath to the cold water divers on here.
What fins I would wear in a drysuit is not what I would wear in other types of diving apparel ie, wetsuit, rash skin, etc.
No plans to at this point

Single tank and pony, wetsuit or not, I can do anything with the nova, not much good for pushing twins

Mares Quattro would be my recommendation
Why the Quattro if you like the Nova?

Have been using the Quattro for many yrs. Two issues:
1. The old strap was bad and expensive to replace. I carried a spare pair when travelling. No idea how the new design perform.
2. A bit long inside a wreck.

No issue when diving dry(not applicable to the OP).

It has been around for many many yrs. So the reputation must be still favourable and I do understand why(personal opinion).

I have fins for many purposes

A lot of diving Cape Schanck with Mares and rubberised fin straps

full.jpg

Perfect for wedging and springing out of places as the dive requires
stiff enough for steadying yourself for photography without damage

which the Nova doesn't give

Whenever I am back in Vic it is with Mares and rubberised fin straps

Best rubber strap and buckle set I've ever used, old Mares and Tusa

Still are still do!

Scubapro Go Sport or Go fins will do it all, very light and plenty of power for flutter or frog kicking, I even use them for drysuit but they really excel for travel.

Reactions: EdC
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom