Help with danglies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobzilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My SPG is dragging :(

I tied the boltsnap to the fitting on the hose. Should I tie to the SPG instead?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2011-03-18-09h21m58s123.jpg
    vlcsnap-2011-03-18-09h21m58s123.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 329
  • vlcsnap-2011-03-18-09h36m56s100_a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2011-03-18-09h36m56s100_a.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 367
move your d ring back some

see mine in my sig

if you use a 6cuft argon you may need it a little more forward but if not...

Your SPG connection looks a lot longer than mine. My tie-off is in the constriction point of the connection so it can't slide back or forth, but the point is a lot closer to the actual guage. I agree with moving the D-ring back also.

move your d ring back some

see mine in my sig

if you use a 6cuft argon you may need it a little more forward but if not...

Thanks. That will do it.

The D ring is supposed to be at mid body or a little higher - right? That is pretty close to the plate for a slender guy like me :D

Is the tie-off in the right place?

the tie off could be closer to the spg but the d ring will make more of a difference

just keep in mind if you tie the bolt snap to the fitting and it's in the swivel part it will eventually cut through the line. that's how I do mine and I have to replace it every once in a while

try it in the water. close to the plate shouldn't be an issue. i keep mine just a couple inches from the plate

Claus,

The D-ring should sit somewhere between the midline of the body and the backplate. Your D-ring is too far forward. But, since your high pressure hose looks a little long you should also tie your bolt snap to your SPG rather than the hose. Tie it right next to the gauge itself.

In a pinch, you can also see if you can make adjustments at the first stage such as changing the angle of routing. Be careful not to do anything silly, but sometimes a slight angle could take up a half inch to an inch of hose slack.

In a perfect world having a hose length that corresponds to your preferred hose routing and one that won't let the gauge fall below your body line is the way to go. In the real world if you find yourself making a dive with a hose in the position of your photos it's not a problem in open water diving. In an overhead, you can tuck the SPG under your plate to keep the gauge from scraping a cave or becoming an anchor in a wreck. Or, you can clip it to your left chest D-ring temporarily while swimming through tight places.

If you need to replace the hose you are using with a better length, keep your old hose as a back-up in your save a dive kit since it is manageable.

I think you'd be well served with a 22inch hose and moving the dring back probably 3 inches, as well as moving the tie off closer to the spg. Give that a shot and see how it works out.

Fwiw, Piranha gives some solid discounts on hoses every now and then.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom