Help with Diving Itinerary in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedFishBlueFish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Everyone! Planning a 3 week trip to the Philippines in late March and wanted to dive in Coron, El Nido, Apo Island and possibly Siquijor with non diving side trips elsewhere. Was wondering if anyone who has been diving at these places could recommend how many days to spend at each. Hubby and I are only OW certified. If you have no interest in wrecks, is Coron even worth diving? Any input on reputable and safe dive operators in those areas are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Just be warned. I was there in March and the water was C O L D.

76/77F.

All dives. I wished that I had a 5mm suit and I don't get cold easily. I ended up buying a vest and hood. Still cold. We used Atlantis Resorts for Dumaguette (which included Apo Island) and Puerto Galera. Diving was awesome.

76/77F.

All dives. I wished that I had a 5mm suit and I don't get cold easily. I ended up buying a vest and hood. Still cold. We used Atlantis Resorts for Dumaguette (which included Apo Island) and Puerto Galera. Diving was awesome.
Wow I’m surprised it was that cold, March and April are supposed to be the hottest months in the Philippines! How many days did you dive at Apo Island?

Wow I’m surprised it was that cold, March and April are supposed to be the hottest months in the Philippines! How many days did you dive at Apo Island?

6 dives-2 days. I could have dived there for a week...if corals are your thing. They are mine!

45 min boat ride from Dumaguette.

Did I say that the water was cold? Let me repeat. It was really cold for the tropics. 76 will not freeze you up immediately but if you're doing 4 or 5 dives a day, the last two in a 3mm full suit are uncomfortably chilly. We were there from Mar 18 thru April 5 this year. Both Dumaguette and Sabang Beach (PG) had similar temps.

It's a long ride to get from Puerto Princesa to El Nido by van or public bus (6 or 7 hours), we went by bus--very comfortable instead of in a cramped van. We then took a five day boat trip with Tao Expeditions from El Nido to Coron--no diving just snorkeling. This was in the middle of January and water temps were in the low 80"s everywhere. We snorkeled on a few shallow wrecks in Coron and viz was pretty bad. Did dive at Apo island also and it was great. You will want to stay in the small town of Dauin to dive Apo Island--6 or 7 dive resorts there that run trips to Apo and to Siquijor for three dive trips. We stayed at Mikes Beach and Dive resort for five nights--loved it. Small place with only eight rooms--a/c, nice pool, great restaurant and right on the beach for about $55 a night in standard room. They do muck dives as well as the trips to Apo and have nitrox too. A day trip to Apo for three dives and a lunch on board is about $110--equipment rental is about $10 for all day if I remember right. The owner is American and the resort manager is English and dive manager is Scottish--great people one and all. They will arrange for airport pick-up from the airport too for about $12 one way for all in your group. Only got in one dive in Puerto Galera last year before being blown out of the water by a typhoon but its like Cozumel in Sabang there--dive shop every 15 feet along the beach. We'll be back in Dauin diving Apo later this month and then will take the ferry over to Bohol and spend a week diving in Panglao and I will post a trip report when I return in January about the diving while in the Philippines. Check out Mikes Beach and Dive Resort on their website for prices on all they offer--great diving!

76/77F.

76 cold?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom