Help with go pro 3 underwater settings with red filter, Caribbean, 30-80 ft. Protune?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiwibird

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Going to Caribbean next week. Any advice on camera settings for 30-80 ft, protune or not. I am very amateurish and use IMOVIE with good results. Love any advice.
A dumb question, so should i, if use pro tune, use the go pro software and export clips into iMovie, or is this a double step....or should I just use camera auto understanding that it limits the post significantly. Don't want it too difficult but willing to learn for better results. HELP PLEASE:D
smile_2.gif

Protune = shorter battery life, bigger files + you will have to do colour adjustment so more work. Don't know about iMovie but it sounds to me like you should use the non-PT mode which looks great straight out the camera. Only downside is the auto white balance which you are stuck with, the camera may go bonkers under certain conditions (shooting into sun) and turn everything green.

Make sure you download the latest firmware before you go.

I do have a class 10 card, use for both my go pros, thanks...guess I will have to just experiment like everyone else. Thanks:D

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 11:40 AM ----------

Yeah, I might just do auto until I get more practice as I hate to have footage I am unhappy with when it's a one shot dive at that particular location, unless I go back, hee hee. Thanks, might experiment in the shallows. Appreciate the info.

I've just been out in the Red Sea and used a gopro 3 with a red filter for much of the time. I used 24fps and 1080 resolution and everything worked well for me. When diving deeper - 25 to 40 metres I took the filter off ( mine is a clip on filter). I transferred clips onto an IPad between dives to preview them.

Balanus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice! I have been seeing 720 and 60fps a lot, any reason you chose your selected settings?

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

so you didn't use pro tune? So many options and everyone has a preference. Like I said I will most likely have to experiment on my own. Hoe was the Red Sea?

he took filter off because of loss of light. Light spectrum diminishes with depth so using a red lens filter beyond certain depths would throw off curves for other lost colors.

Protune requires significant processing on your part as it is designed that way. Think of it like "honey that does not look or taste like honey" when you mix that with various processing filters in editing software your "honey will be better than regular honey". But you must be a very vigilant bee keeper to gain any benefit of said protune.

Oh my! I better run to the store to get my honey instead of dealing with all those bees, ha! Yes, I realize the things you pointed out about pro tune, extra work and editing but if you do it right fantastic results. Might just play it safe this trip. I realize that you lose light the deeper you go and will have to keep this in mind as I venture into deeper waters. Easy as my red filter just pops off, (polar).
Thanks for all your words of wisdom, safe diving to you!

I shot 2.7k 30fps with protune on and wb set to raw. The color I'm able to get is is awesome IMO. It was shot at 40-65ft with the SRP red filter. I've yet to import to iMovie due to time but hope to have that done this week.

In the Turks next month I'll experiment with 1080 60fps and 30fps as well. Given the color I'm getting I will not use anything other than protune and raw wb. It's worth the little bit of extra work in cineform to set the color.

Nice! Do you have any footage we can look at? Yes, the extra time is probably worth it for sure. Thanks and have a great time in the Turks!

Back
Top Bottom