Help With Lens/Port Choice and What to Keep/Sell for Future Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been shooting the AOI for the OM-1 for quite a while (I was a real early adopter). For macro one of the 30,45,60 or 90 lenses (or all of them:p). The AOI port for the 90 is awesome as it lets you change magnifications on the fly). I think a lot of modern thinking is that it is better to use a wet lens setup for wide angle than a traditional WA lens behind a dome. In the full frame world that is really happening. I have used the 12-50 for Mantas in Komodo with reasonable results using the AOI port for the 60 macro. A lot depends on what you want to shoot, for me mostly macro with an occasional wide shot.
Bill
One thing to remember about the AOI system, it is very negative underwater and needs quite a bit of flotation but probably not more than the Nauticam version.

BillView attachment 832304
From a dive yesterday here in LA with the Oly 60, OM-1, AOI, 2x Backscatter MF-2 strobes
I would think that the Nauticam housing would be significantly more negative under water? I'm having a hard time getting weight and buoyancy specs anywhere online. Do you know anyone that has tried both that knows the actual difference?

I thought so too, but my AOI is about the same (maybe a bit heavier) weight underwater than my Nauticam system for the EM1-Mark III. I was surprised but if you look at the housing there is really no air inside, the nautical has a bit more trapped air.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom