Help with ScubaPro MK-16 TIS and Shearwater Teric transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone! My wife uses a ScubaPro MK-16 and really loves the profile and flow of this first stage. Recently I splurged and purchased a Shearwater Teric dive watch. A cool feature of the unit is that is has the ability to monitor two separate air supplies (which will be for myself and my spouse). I do understand that it is a short range (3 feet) that we will need to be together for the Teric to be able to pick up the signal from her transmitter.

Ok, so I do not have the original owner's manual for the MK-16. All of the ports are currently in use (two for the regulators, one for the BCD, one for the PSI gauge) except for one port labeled "HFP LP". The diameter of the opening is different from the diameter of the transmitter thread.

On my first stage (Dacor) I was able to use an open port to supply my transmitter, and then also left a pressure gauge attached as a redundant safety gauge.

Is there a way I can utilize her MK-16 or am I looking at having to purchase her another first stage since I am out of ports? I am assuming there is no way to "Y" her first stage to supply air to both the Teric transmitter and the pressure gauge simultaneously?

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• SP MK16-3.pdf
    17.8 MB · Views: 124
  • SP MK16-1.pdf
    18.2 MB · Views: 100
  • SP MK16-2.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 126
  • SP MK16-4.pdf
    17.4 MB · Views: 90
  • SP MK16-5.pdf
    17.2 MB · Views: 99
The HFP is an intermediate pressure port, and will not work.
And yes, you can Y your existing single HP port. There are lots of options. Here is one that I use to bring my transmitter closer to my wrist computer and still provide a redundant gauge readout.
IMG_20210422_192951.jpg

The HFP is an intermediate pressure port, and will not work.
And yes, you can Y your existing single HP port. There are lots of options. Here is one that I use to bring my transmitter closer to my wrist computer and still provide a redundant gauge readout.
View attachment 655006
Oooooooooo I really like that! So the gauge is "inline". Can you tell me the make of that gauge so I can try to find one? I may just switch her over to my Dacor and then use her MK16 with this inline option....

Here you go...
Screenshot_20210422-195627_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20210422-195740_Firefox.jpg
I think I used a 16" HP hose.

The single HP port on the Mk16 is one of the main feature differences between it and the Mk11 that has two HP ports.

The HFP LP is High Flow Port Low Pressure that has a higher/larger flow rate compared to the other LP ports. Some regs, such as some US Divers and Apeks have a large LP port for the same reason.

The Y splinter works well. The inline gauge is crafty. I’ve been diving with a transmitter since the late 90s and have only experienced one battery failure. They have improved a lot over the past two decades to the point where one can leave the SPG in a bag as a back up if needed.

@shurite7 has a good point! If you compare the two schematics, you'll see that the key valve parts are identical. Plus, the Mk11 body is much lighter (and has two HP ports).
IMG_20210422_210424.jpg

IMG_20210422_210342.jpg

I think you could make up for not having bought her a Teric by buying her a Mk11! (Then, use the savings from not having bought a second Teric to get yourself more toys.)

I'm jes' sayin...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom