Help with water access for Handicapped divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I volunteer at a new dive location and am trying to figure out ways to help divers, with physical challenges, get in and out of the water. The entry and exit is from a pre existing floating dock (concrete) with no steps, only a metal ladder.

I need any ideas or examples for improving access? I am really trying to make this a destination for divers with disabilities.

What type of body of water? Will you be allowed to install some sort of lift chair?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

It's a 10 acre area of a lake. I don't know if they will allow for a lift install at this time. I'm just looking for a way to get divers in the water, to show that better access is needed. The lake is run by the state and they don't want to put up any money unless we can show that it would be beneficial. Any simpler ideas for now?

It's a 10 acre area of a lake. I don't know if they will allow for a lift install at this time. I'm just looking for a way to get divers in the water, to show that better access is needed. The lake is run by the state and they don't want to put up any money unless we can show that it would be beneficial. Any simpler ideas for now?

Sure, tell them the percentage of state residents that are disabled, and that they're violating the Americans With Disabilities Act and you want them to put in a lift.

A lift like those installed in pools is cheaper than the lawyer that they would need to fight it (and lose) and a lot better PR. It wil probably need to be battery powered with a solar powered charger, which is no big deal anymore, since they're used on remote traffic signs and cameras and are very common.

flots

The problem is, we have fought tooth and nail to get this place open. I am concerned that if I start pushing the issue of ADA violations they will just pull the plug on the entire dive area. The area is on a three year trial run, so we can show that it is a good thing, and won't cost the state a bunch of money. I am pushing the lift idea, but I was wondering if there is any other ideas, that I and a few of my handy friends fould put together till then. I'm not sure if a stair step type of platform, or a ramp would be useful or not. What other ideas are out there? I don't have much exposure to this type of access, but I want to do the best I can and get more involved with the groups like Diveheart and such.

i guess the first question would be is there a need? do you have local disabled divers. i am a disabled diver and used a local quarry that had built a ramp, did a great job worked well and many able bodied divers found it an easy way in and out of the water.

One thing we have to remember is not all disabled individuals need the same support. What level of disability are we talking about? My daughter has CP and is wheelchair bound. To get her in the water we need either a no step entry like the shore where we can wheel her out on a wheelchair or a chair lift in which we can transfer her to and then let her down. From experience, she HATES the hard plastic chairs and usually screams in pain before we can get her in the water. For whatever reason they hurt her hip.

Some sort of ramp would be the most general option. Something like this:
access5.gif22042011174227_1759_ACCESSIBLE-POOL-RAMP-_DSC6448-Small.jpg

It sounds like you are doing a good thing, but don't ignore the ADA. Someone could come any day and shut it down, so it's good that you are thinking ahead. Besides, there's nothing more disappointing than getting my daughter hyped up to do something, only to be turned away because there's no safe access. It breaks her heart and depresses her.

I'm thinking about a ramp, at least for the immediate time. There is a small section off the bank that would be large enough, I just have to figure out what else I would have to do to prep that spot.

i don't know of many disabled divers in the area, but I do know one that is from here and visits his family often.

All I can say is thank you for thinking about it ahead of time.

The problem is, we have fought tooth and nail to get this place open. I am concerned that if I start pushing the issue of ADA violations they will just pull the plug on the entire dive area. The area is on a three year trial run, so we can show that it is a good thing, and won't cost the state a bunch of money. I am pushing the lift idea, but I was wondering if there is any other ideas, that I and a few of my handy friends fould put together till then. I'm not sure if a stair step type of platform, or a ramp would be useful or not. What other ideas are out there? I don't have much exposure to this type of access, but I want to do the best I can and get more involved with the groups like Diveheart and such.

You might be able to get a dock supply place to donate an aluminum ramp if you let them put their name on it. They're used to get between a loading dock and the back of the truck and have very rough non-slip diamond-shaped cutouts. They're great for non-divers too. Much better than climbing out over slippery rocks.

236.jpg

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

flots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom