Henderson Thermaxx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a new 7mm wetsuit for quarry dives here in the mid-Atlantic region. My current wetsuit is a Bare Arctic (about 12 years old). I'm looking for something that has more stretch and possibly warmer. My LDS recommended the Thermaxx. I see that they come in a front zip model and was wondering if that is a benefit or not with SCUBA. It seems like it would a lot easy to put on and take off. But, does it seal as well as a back zip?

Also, for anyone who has a Thermaxx, how do you like it? Do they run true to size? I'm likely a XL-Tall (6'4" and 215 pounds). Also, it looks like they do not come with ankle zips. How easy is it to put on?

Thanks....

(Disclaimer: one man's opinion, experience and observations-not necessarily with a Thermaxx suit) Regarding front vs back zip: getting into, and especially, out of a front zip is more difficult than getting out of a back zip, due to the shoulder/elbow contortions required.

Bare makes a really nice 7mm that has good stretch and warmth. It is called Reactive.

I love my Henderson Aqua Lock

stretchier and warmer are inverse relations to each other. the stretchier a neoprene is, the less dense it is and less resilient to pressure. The warmer a neoprene is, the more dense it is, which means the less stretchy it is. The Thermaxx is anything but stretchy compared to their other suits, but may be stretchier than your decade+ old suit just by the age degradation.

I don't like front zips, back zips aren't hard to get on, and they tend to leak and come unzipped less. They're also more comfortable to wear.

no issue with lack of ankle seals on any wetsuits I have owned and I have enormous feet so it's no easy task getting them off.

Henderson makes great suits, most are overseas now, but still have great service in the mid-Atlantic where they started, so I would have no problem going that route. My buddy has a Thermaxx and loves it. If your LDS is any good, they'll order it for you and if it doesn't fit, they'll send it back for the right size

For a different perspective: I love front zips, and struggle with getting back zips closed (and avoiding having my hair get caught on them). I think it totally depends on you and what's more comfortable/easier for you personally - if you can try one on, that would probably be the most helpful!

Bare makes a really nice 7mm that has good stretch and warmth. It is called Reactive.
I heard they were having a bunch of zipper issues. I have a 3mm Velocity and like it a lot.

tbone - good perspective on the stretchy versus thermal properties. I just find the Arctic to be really stiff. But that may also be a product of age.

Thermaxx is one of the best suits on the market right now in my opinion. You are only able to buy them in a brick and mortar store and not online. All of my BARE suits are great at first but compress really quickly. The BARE suits I have also have issues with the neoprene tearing where they stich on the zippers (ankles and lower back). I would suggest going to a shop that has both and try them on. The Thermaxx has a "fire fleece" lining that makes it slide on and off really easily. You are on the cusp of being a XXL Tall, so like everyone else has said, try them on and see what you like. Front zips go on really easy but tend to get hung up on your shoulders coming off. Hope it helps. Let me know if you need help tracking down dealers up there.

I had a thermaxx and really liked the suit up until I left it on my car roof drying and drove off. For me, it was a great suit for shallow summer dives in New England and found it plenty warm for those dives.

Thermaxx is one of the best suits on the market right now in my opinion. You are only able to buy them in a brick and mortar store and not online. All of my BARE suits are great at first but compress really quickly. The BARE suits I have also have issues with the neoprene tearing where they stich on the zippers (ankles and lower back). I would suggest going to a shop that has both and try them on. The Thermaxx has a "fire fleece" lining that makes it slide on and off really easily. You are on the cusp of being a XXL Tall, so like everyone else has said, try them on and see what you like. Front zips go on really easy but tend to get hung up on your shoulders coming off. Hope it helps. Let me know if you need help tracking down dealers up there.

My LDS carries them but given my size they generally have to order them. In my BARE suits I wear a XL Tall and they tend to be ok. I would like a little longer torso but outside of going to a custom suit I can live with it. I would think the XXL Tall might be a little baggy in the chest. I currently wear a 44 suit. Also, looking on the Henderson site the front zip is only for the 1.5mm suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom