Hepatitus c and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackiemize

Reaction score
I Have hepc and Im taking Paxil for anxiety after finding out about the hep. Its only contaigiuos through blood..I am goin to start treatment soon. I started my certification last year but busted my eardrum during the last dive ..I passed all test but could not do the last dive .Can I finish this year before I start treatment which is like chemotherapy and makes you ill for 1 year. I know I cant dive during that treatment but would really like to finish the cource.My ear healed on its on after a few months. Any reply is welcome..

I'm not a doctor. I think it would be best for you to finish your treatment program first and then get an ENT to examine your ear and clear you for diving. You may also need clearance from the doctor treating the Hep C.

Once the health issues are behind you then redo the class in whatever way is acceptable with your instructor. Could be just an academic review and then some water skills to get you back in the game or you may have to redo the whole course.

Even if you finished now you would proably benefit from a refresher course after such a long abscence.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

I agree, get the medical probs sorted out then you can really concentrate on the classes.

Anyway, if you finish the class now and then don't dive for a year I would think you would want to take a refresher anyway. So why not wait and do one class instead of two.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Chad

That was very informative and i will wait till I finish treatment before continuing a great hobby. Just know how lucky some of you are ..Thans for the info

Back
Top Bottom