• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Herd Immunity in Indonesia

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by SeaWarden, Sep 10, 2020.

Would you travel to Indonesia after they have accomplished herd immunity?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    62.3%
  1. DownUnderwater Dan

DownUnderwater Dan Barracuda

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    What you're replying to was a question I was asking, so I don't understand why you're answering a question with a question

2. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

No we don't. We may know that a goodly percentage appear to be asymptomatic.

We do not know what may happen to them later.

3. Indah

Indah Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Thanks, great article. Their conclusion? Maybe, we need a proper study. A new study led by scientists at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology (LJI) shows that memory helper T cells that recognize common cold coronaviruses also recognize matching sites on SARS-CoV-2.

The research, published in Science, may explain why some people have milder COVID-19 cases than others—though the researchers emphasized that this is speculation and much more data is needed.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  4. DownUnderwater Dan

We now have the best evidence yet that everyone develops long-term coronavirus immunity after infection — and it's not just about antibodies

Chilly, in keeping on the subject of scuba, I personally would dread getting an illness that would affect my ability to dive, especially a long lasting respiratory illness. But this is a very small minority, and like other illnesses we can't stop them all

5. DownUnderwater Dan

Another member posted the link earlier of the peer reviewed British Medical Journal report released on the 17th September 2020

Covid-19: Do many people have pre-existing immunity?

6. DownUnderwater Dan

There is numerous data on this matter from studies that have been cited & peer reviewed & released in the past 2 months

You can't ignore the science and emerging consensus of top immunologists & virologists in regards to T-cell immunity

For an effective COVID vaccine, look beyond antibodies to T-cells

I want to keep this subject matter related to the idea of "herd immunity" in Indonesia. So I suggest searching the internet for numerous scientific peer reviewed reports on T-cell immunity & how it's even viewed as possibly more important than antibody immunity

7. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Unfortunately one of the very minority is a friend of mine. 6 months later, she continues to suffer all manner of symptoms and has just recovered sort of from her second related pneumonia. It seems quite possible that she'll never dive again.

So, you may not fear for yourself but you may infect others unknowingly.

ToneNQ likes this.
  8. SeaWarden

SeaWarden Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    There are several strains of the virus. The one in Singapore is the mildest.

9. DownUnderwater Dan

In your opinion, is Singapore close to having some sort of "herd immunity"? There have been some studies over there in relation to T-cell immunity that have been given worldwide attention. People may still get infected but their pre-existing T-cell exposure to other coronaviruses stops the severity of covid-19 often producing no symptoms

10. Indah

Indah Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Indeed. The magic is in the word POSSIBLY. But I agree that it is very interesting.