Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a point that has been overlooked, in all of this discussion on the price of the dives is that over the past several years the dive ops in the lower keys have been hurting. We have seen several go under (no pun intended). Those that have manage to stay afloat have been very reluctant to raise prices in a shrinking market, despite the cost of fuel, dockage and insurance increasing substantially. Now that they are raising their prices with the Vandy everyone is freaking out. As others have said, in a free market a fare price is what ever the market will bear. Having dove in Cozumel, and Roatan last summer (where liability is more a theoretical entity than a reality) $100 does not seem out of line. I will not begrudge anyone that makes what they can. The opporators are not charging for a life sustaining commodity, dive the Vandy or not. It is up to you.

What can I say, I believe in capitalism, and I won't even charge for my $.02 worth.

Safe dives
trtldvr
www.divealive.org

Right..but you'd think that VOLUME would be the key!

In some ways, I can see BWD's point, because for the tech community, most op's would charge an arm and two legs to take you to the places that are worth your while, but since this is going to be a mainstream location, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around some charging X and some charging XX...

Personally, when I'm down in October, nothing is going to keep me from getting on that bugger, and I'm going with a decently priced op. Cattle boats be damned!

I just got back into the country from a deployment and am heading into Key West on Monday morning for a week to sink the Vandenberg and then to run dive trips down there for the remainder of the week. I have a townhouse set up and am trying to find some others that might like to go down and split the costs. It comes out to be 50 a person per night based on 4 people for the townhouse from Mon-Sunday. The townhouses have 3BRs with queen beds in each room, full kitchen, and fully furnished. It is a 2 min drive to be on Duval St, and the same amount to be at the dive boat.

Dives are additional, but with tanks and weights, they are 65 per trip to the Vandenberg. Dives will be either a 2 tank trip to the wreck, or a wreck/reef combo. If you have all your gear, it will be 55 per trip. Diving will be through Captains Corner, and I will be one of your DMs as well. CC is the only dive operator in KW that is going to be allowing technical diving on the Vandenberg.

Basically, the diving would be free with all the money everyone would save on accommodations, since most things are sold out next week, or remaining rooms are 250for the week with all the hooplah for the sinking. Plus, I know most everyone on the island, so I get discounts on all the other fun stuff to do such as parasailing, sunset cruises, etc.

Know anyone that wants to go? Are you deep, wreck, or mixed gas certified? ANd have you done decompression dives before as well? Even open water divers can enjoy this wreck since the top of the radar domes are in 40fsw.

I need to know soon so I can set up payment for the accommodations since it has to be paid at the time of arrival. If you wanted to come for part of the week, let me know, and you can Paypal me the rates for the townhouse. If we have to get more than one for everyone, we can.

If you want to know more, email me here or at OceanLovingDude AT aol DOT com ASAP!!! Im leaving the mainland on Monday morning early, and plan on being there by afternoon.

Very cool to have you back in the states. I my be interested in your offer. how long have you been back? And are you going to be diving tec?

I just check your profile and it said you are a Dive Equipment Manufacturer Owner. what do you manufacturer?

Yes I will probably be diving tec. Im taking a 108LP, twin 121LPs, and 4x 45LPs for deco with 50/50 and 80/20. I have been from bow to stern above and below decks, so I know what to expect inside the wreck, and have photos from inside to help the tec guys with reference points. You can start at the stern and work forward and then out through one of the two cargo vert shafts, and have close to 90 mins or more of bottom time easily, based off your deco blend.

It will be a GREAT dive, and there is still so much stuff on the wreck that can be had. Let me know as soon as possible, since I want to get this set up in the next day or so

Cool deal I do not want to sound like a axx but you have only 4 post and I would like to know what wreck you have dove. Sorry about this.

I did the Doria in 96, and have a nice half china saucer from that, have done several U-Boats in the NE, and some other WW2 wrecks. I have done survey work for the Govt on deteriorating conditions on WW2 wrecks in the Gulf of Mexico that still have live ordanance on them in 140-175fsw. Plus I am military, and do a lot of zero vis SAR work, such as Katrina, etc

Hay thanks for the PM sorry I didn't get back with you but I got called out I dive for the local SeaTow. I'm going to be in KW on Monday eve. Do you have a car you know wheels I may need a ride from the airport. We can get together then.

Email me at OceanLovingDude@aol.com with your contact info. I will have my car with me, and a means to get around the island. What is bringing you down for the week? give me your flight info, etc, and I can grab you. Are you up for splitting accommodations? Like I said, it will be 50 each per night for 4 people. It will run us about between 65 and 70 each for just the two of us since we dont have to pay the extra 20 per person charge for more than 2 people

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom