Here we go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
Thanks Michael- that's a great post that really captures the excitement of shiny new gear!

As for the buoyancy- the wetter you get, the better you get. :D

I'm not much of a book writer. I guess more street smart than book smart but, I try to get the point across.

Yeah, I'll be hitting the pool alot so it seems. :wink:

Michael

Randolphscott:
From one newbie to another...

:D

Get busy living and get busy diving.

Ohh, I'm living! No doubt. I just gotta get busy n the diving....

Wife says "after the baby is born" I can go dive. My dive buddy heard her so, shortly after Tanner gets here, say 5 or 6 months, I'll be diving more.

Michael

I just finished reading all the posts in this thread. Great story Michael. I set up my very first BP/W last year. I couldn't have done it with the help and hints/tricks from everyone here. New gear is always fun, isn't it?

I don't remember reading about your reg setup. You are contemplating going to the 7' hose right? Even before you make that switch, put a bungie necklace on your backup reg. It's really nice to always know exactly where it's at, and that it isn't dangling (or caught) somewhere becuase it's off the keeper. If you set the necklace length right, you can switch to your backup with just your mouth.

fire_diver:
I just finished reading all the posts in this thread. Great story Michael. I set up my very first BP/W last year. I couldn't have done it with the help and hints/tricks from everyone here. New gear is always fun, isn't it?

Thanks. I try to make it worth reading and understandable. :wink: Everyone here and many in PMs have helped me out a lot. Tis a great place; Sb. You have to ask if new gear is fun? Look at my title. :p

fire_diver:
I don't remember reading about your reg setup. You are contemplating going to the 7' hose right? Even before you make that switch, put a bungie necklace on your backup reg. It's really nice to always know exactly where it's at, and that it isn't dangling (or caught) somewhere becuase it's off the keeper. If you set the necklace length right, you can switch to your backup with just your mouth.

Yeah, next pay check I'm getting my 7' hose, my short hose too. Just going to run my octo for now off the short hose. plus, I plan to get myself some spring straps and buy a pair for my dive buddy (Frankc420) a pair for his Birthday.

The long hose and bunged back is one of the many reasons I wanted to go with a BP/W setup using the hog harness. My first (and hopefully last) OOG experience made me change my mind to go to a long hose after I read about it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely be doing it.

Michael

shark.byte.usa:
5-6 months...ouch :11: It'd be nice to escape those prenatal mood swings with a nice dive :eyebrow: Congrats on your coming expectancy (Now scratch your head and wonder if I'm talking about the Baby or diving the BP/W :D)

-Garrett

Yeah, I think she trapped me. (Or as my dive buddy says, "She has your balls in a vice!") Well, it's somewhat true but, I want to experience this baby having thing together as a family. I figured after 5 or 6 months I'll need a break from it all. I plan to take a Friday off and have a LONG weekend. :) (At least once a month. By then I'll have enough comped hours. :p)

Coming expectancy? the BP/W already arrived so it has to be the baby. :wink:

Ohh yeah, the wife did know/does know about the BP/W. She was cool with it. *phew* :bananalama: She asked me what all the clanging and banging was.. all I said was :ne_nau:. Then I told her later.

Michael

Michael, sounds like you had GREAT fun with your rig! Did you end up crossing the shoulder straps? Did it work?

Do you carry any weight with your exposure suit? If so, you can move some weight up onto the cambands to help trim you out. I moved three pounds up there (out of the 21 I was carrying in addition to the BP) with my 95s, and it trimmed me out perfectly.

Don't feel too bad about the buoyancy issues in the pool. Remember that last 8 feet is the hardest place to nail your buoyancy!

TSandM:
Michael, sounds like you had GREAT fun with your rig! Did you end up crossing the shoulder straps? Did it work?

Do you carry any weight with your exposure suit? If so, you can move some weight up onto the cambands to help trim you out. I moved three pounds up there (out of the 21 I was carrying in addition to the BP) with my 95s, and it trimmed me out perfectly.

Don't feel too bad about the buoyancy issues in the pool. Remember that last 8 feet is the hardest place to nail your buoyancy!

I did have fun a LOT of fun. :) I had tried crossing them but, I think my shoulders are to wide and it hurt or the way my shoulder comes "up" on my missing arm, it hurt it more. having it the regular way works well. I just need to tighten it up more. Once underwater it loosens up and it actually has the tendency to "fall off" my nub. Once I get it tight, it will work great.

No weight at all. Which surprised me. I even put on a 3mm shortie and I was able to get down with no problem. That suit will probably be my "main" suit if I even wear one at all. Of course, if I go to doubles, I'll probably wear my 3mm shortie/long suit just because of the time I'll be down. That is, if my dive buddy gets doubles as well. Otherwise, prolly a single with no exposure with my c100. (My dive buddy on an al80 is about the sametime as myself on my c100.)

I talked with a friend that has a back plate and she noted to me the holes in the back plate. If I have them in the top holes I'm more than likely going to be "head up", if I move them to the back holes, it'll be more "butt up". Since I had them in the top, I'm going to move them down. I think I said in my "report" that I felt my legs go down. Maybe this adjustment will help with that. (I have large muscular legs. just enough fat to keep them warm. :p All my fat is around my waist.) So without an exposure suit and with the c100, I think I'm over weighted. I'd have to use the wing a lot to keep from going down. With the 3mm shortie, I think I'm still a little to heavy. This weekend I'm going to try with my long suit, hoodie, gloves and boots. Ohh and I'm also wearing SP jets so they are on the heavy side too.

I don't really feel bad about any of it. I know i'm still a noobie and will be for the next 100-200 dives. :)

Michael

Michael, did you have an empty tank for weighting purposes? Don't forget you'll ALWAYS be overweighted (purposely) at the beginning of a dive, where you have 6 pounds (or so) of gas in your tank that goes away as you breathe it down. An empty (or rather, nearly empty @ 500 psi) tank is what you should be neutral with. With next to no exposure protection and a full tank, you'll be 6 pounds negative, which is easily enough to sink you pretty quickly.

CompuDude:
Michael, did you have an empty tank for weighting purposes? Don't forget you'll ALWAYS be overweighted (purposely) at the beginning of a dive, where you have 6 pounds (or so) of gas in your tank that goes away as you breathe it down. An empty (or rather, nearly empty @ 500 psi) tank is what you should be neutral with. With next to no exposure protection and a full tank, you'll be 6 pounds negative, which is easily enough to sink you pretty quickly.

I didn't get a chance to suck all he air out of the c100, surprisingly, at 8 ffw. :) I still have about 1200psi to go and this weekend, I'll use the same tank and suck it down to 500 and see what happens from there. :)

I'll report to you what happens.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom