Herniated Disc and Side Mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand what you are saying. One of the things I was wondering about was if diving with a single on one side would feel off kilter. Thanks, everyone for your input.

I have also the same condition but mine are L2-L3, I just take my time getting into the water and out, also I try to park my SUV as close to the water as possible. I have done several boat dives without any problems and only twice I had a bit of difficulty getting back into the boat but the seas where a bit rough those 2 days.

Diving is a therapy for me since it releves pressure on the lower back, I try to dive 2-3 times a week if the weather is good and maybe once a week when is not. Every time I am done my 2 daive in one day I feel great for at least 3-5 days.

I get the gear ready on the back of my SUV, then I sit and strap my BC on and stand and walk to the water, usually less than 100 feet. When I get out I do not stop until I reach my SUV and get my diving key to unlock the back door, sit, remove the weights from the side of the bc and un-strap the bc. Then I take a 30-45 minutes break and start getting ready formy 2nd. dive. In 70 dives I have not had re-injured my back.

I use tank carry on strap on my 2 AL80 to move the tanks from storage to the vehicle and to get them fill. I always bend my knees and keep my back straight if I have to get off the bench on the boat. I tried at the begging to don the tank and bcd on the water but it was a pain in the rear when there us surge.

Good luck and happy diving.

--Carlos--

I have had multiple surgeries on my spine and I am fused from L4 to S1. I have just returned from a week of diving in Belize.

I shore dive and dive from boats and never wear my gear outside of the water. I have also been cenote diving in Mexico.

The best money i have ever spent was on I sessions in a pool with dive instructors whilst we practised various scenarios/ E.G
integral weights versus weight-belt,
standard bcd versus bcd that inflates laterally,
weights in pouches on tank versus no weights on tank,
and multiple ways of putting the bcd on in the water.

On each dive trip I have modified the routine slightly and improved the system. The only time I have issues is when there are huge waves. I have found in this situation, its essential to have the BCD fully inflated on the surface- that way I can't lose it. I have to be very careful that I don't pull the integral weights out, in error (yes, its happened a couple of times) when fastening the waist straps on descent.

I now explain to each dive master and crew member that I do not want them to fasten any straps that are undone before they pass the rig to me (they are trying to be helpful, but oh my, what problems it causes!!)

So, hang on in there. it does get easier and you can expect problems on the way (if my experience is anything to go by) but once you are in a set routine and confident, it will no longer be an issue. On this last trip, I was much faster at getting to descent meet-up and getting back on to the boat than most able-bodied divers! Its taken 60 dives since my last surgery to get here.

Brian Kakuk.....@Bahamas underground has written a book on side mounts he would be a great guy to contact on his web site and a great guy to boot

Dacor in the late 1970s made a BC called the Nautilus. I have two (one right now on loan, the other not quite completely outfitted), and have dived them. The nice thing about them is that the Nautilus is designed to be put on in the water. There may still be a few around dive shops. The Nautilus uses a different BC concept, in that it is a hard shell, and is not "inflated" but water displaces air like in a submarine. The full name was the Dacor Nautilus CVS (Constant Volume System). I'll show you a few photos of it:

Nautilus_floating.png

Here the Dacor Nautilus is floating with about 16 pounds of weight in it, an 80 cf AL tank attached and using an older style double hose regulator (Sportsways Hydro Twin). Obviously, I'm not in it.

Here's what it looks like with yours truly wearing it.
John_with_Nautilus__Vintage-reg.png

Here is what the unit looks like with a USD 52 cf steel tank mounted on it and a Dacor Pacer regulator. Note that there is another regulator on the inflator hose which keeps the unit at constant pressure with the surrounding water when the diver descends with the bottom valve closed.
IMG_5664.jpg

And here is the unit from below, showing the control valve and the quick release weight chute.
IMG_5669.jpg

The weights are mounted inside:
IMG_5672.jpg

Why am I showing you this? Because it is designed, like I said above, to be donned in the water. Open the bottom control valve, then open either the top valve or the inflator hose and flood the unit until it stands vertical in the water. swim over, get into the shoulder straps, cinch up the waist strap and it is on (get the regulators positioned though). It is an option, but you'll have to scrounge around to find one.

SeaRat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom