Hero 4 Silver vs. Hero 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midge907

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know not many have gotten their hands on the Hero 5 yet, but whats your initial thoughts so far when watching the GoPro promotional videos? I'm thinking the Hero 4 Silver may be a better choice, and the 5 would need a secondary housing to go into? Just wondering what other peoples .02 was.

If buying new and choosing between the 2, 5 seems to make sense. One of the main advantages is the 5 is waterproof to 33 feet without a housing. With a housing it gives you a little more protection in the case of flooding. 5 apparently also has image stabilization built in - a nice feature.

I found this initial discussion of the Hero 5, Session and Karma drone interesting

Everything you need to know: GoPro’s New Hero5 Cameras & Karma Drone

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to that article, I found several yesterday but not that one, and I think it was the best I've seen. Haven't found an answer if you will still be able to use the touch screen when its in a housing.

FWIW - You cannot use the touchscreen on the 4 silver when it is in a dive housing..... don't know how it could be used in the 5

Based on the specs, I'm sticking with my Hero 4 and will probably buy another one now that the price will likely drop. The only considerable advantage I can see for a Hero 5 is the in-camera image stabilization, but if you edit your videos in any capable editing software you can stabilize in post.

EDIT: I have a Hero 4 Black, not silver as originally mentioned by OP. If you are deciding between Hero 4 Silver and Hero 5, the choice is definitely Hero 5.

After seeing the $400 GoPro price tag, I went with the Ignite 4K Ultra HD for $219. It's an exact clone of the GoPro. Honestly I don't know how they do it without getting sued for patent infringement, but that's not my problem.

I use the GoPro dive housing that comes with the wristband just because the Ignite dive housing that came with it didn't have a wrist band attachment. It comes with an 8gig SD card but I upgraded to a 32 Gig SD card. So far I've shot 72 minutes of video on one battery charge. The video was 2.2 gig at 30 fps but the Ignite will do 4K video at 60 fps also.

The video is just as good and I like the rear LCD screen on the Ignite that lets me see what I'm shooting. Honestly I can't see $200 difference in the video between the pricey GoPro and the Ignite. I think you're buying a lot of name brand with GoPro.

My YouTube Videos

After seeing the $400 GoPro price tag, I went with the Ignite 4K Ultra HD for $219. It's an exact clone of the GoPro. Honestly I don't know how they do it without getting sued for patent infringement, but that's not my problem.

I use the GoPro dive housing that comes with the wristband just because the Ignite dive housing that came with it didn't have a wrist band attachment. It comes with an 8gig SD card but I upgraded to a 32 Gig SD card. So far I've shot 72 minutes of video on one battery charge. The video was 2.2 gig at 30 fps but the Ignite will do 4K video at 60 fps also.

The video is just as good and I like the rear LCD screen on the Ignite that lets me see what I'm shooting. Honestly I can't see $200 difference in the video between the pricey GoPro and the Ignite. I think you're buying a lot of name brand with GoPro.

My YouTube Videos

I can only find this, which does not say "Ultra" in the name, but it is the price you said.

Ignite 4K Sports Action Cameras – Ignite 4K Sports Action Cameras

and here: Ignite 4K Waterproof Sports Camera - Tornado Tech

Their best housing is only good for 40m. The GoPro Dive housing is rated for 60m. Do you know if this camera will work with that?

Also, the specs say 4K @ 25fps, not 60. And the specs for battery life say:

1080p30 1.5 hours, 4K25/2.7K30/1080p60 50 mins

So, I guess your video was 1080p@30?

I wonder how the low light performance compares to a GoPro.

I tried a few GoPro knock off before settling on a Hero 4 Silver. I love it and how easy it is to use. I plan on buying a Hero 5 then selling my 4. I think it is a great camera, I am sure its not a huge jump between 4 and 5 from what I have read but I like the gps feature and the no case for 33ft. I use it a lot when doing random things and it end up staying in a housing to be safe.

I tried a few GoPro knock off before settling on a Hero 4 Silver. I love it and how easy it is to use. I plan on buying a Hero 5 then selling my 4. I think it is a great camera, I am sure its not a huge jump between 4 and 5 from what I have read but I like the gps feature and the no case for 33ft. I use it a lot when doing random things and it end up staying in a housing to be safe.

Yeah, being able to use it on land without needing a housing and not worrying about it getting wet is the biggest draw for me.

Back
Top Bottom