Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I re-installed VLC and found what it calls "Convert" and converted a few Hero8 1080p files. It didn't say what it converts, or what it converts it to but the files are smaller so I'm guessing a lower bit rate (?). The new files played back somewhat better on the Windows Media Player but still had problems, but this computer is below the specified minimum requirements. I guess I shouldn't hope that it would play back as well as it does my SJ7000 files because they aren't as good as the GoPro files so that would be taking a step backwards. I read the VLC instructions but they didn't say a whole lot. I also made a short 4K video with the stabilization boost turned on and in superview and VLC would not play it back in this computer, but at least it displayed the video--it just didn't move unless I clicked on the little progress dot (slider thing). I will be content for now if I can get some usable 1080p GoPro files and can start shopping for a new computer a little later. I generally spend all of my SS on airfare, places to stay, and dive boats but we haven't gone anywhere lately so I should be able to pull it off :wink:

I'd have to look it up, but I think it's around 70 minutes. You have to turn off features like GPS and WiFi to make it last that long.

Yesterday my girlfriend asked me if there's any place in SoCal to go scuba diving. Sometimes she worries me. I just showed her some of your nudibranch photos the day before. I don't know what more someone would want to see. I guess maybe she forgot that Catalina is in California. Maybe we can figure out how to get to your giant sea bass spot.

Thanks for all the comments and particularly about the SSD and USB. I tried copying the files to a USB memeory stick and they play back just fine when I stick it in the USB slot on m Blu-Ray player! I've tried the USB slot before with .avi files and they didn't work so I didn't think to try it sooner. It even plays back the file I made with Windows Movie Maker! It will not correctly play back the same files when copied to a DVD in the same Blu-Ray player. I ordered a SSD to try it out so for now it looks like I can at least shoot in 1080p, make movies up to at least 32 minutes in Movie Maker, and watch my underwater videos (when I finally make some, that is). :D I tried playing a short 4K file from the Hero8 but it was unsupported. I figure it will take 20, 480MB SSD drives to copy all of my movies. I have some backup DVD players and another old TV so I should be good for the rest of my years. :wink:

BTW, the Windows GoPro Max Exporter is only for circular files, whatever those are.

Is there a white balance adjustment on the Hero8? I looked for it on the camera plus with the phone app and couldn't find it. I remember the SJCAM 5000X has an underwater mode so I guess I expected to find one on the GoPro. I've been using Cloudy on my SJ7000 for underwater stuff.

White Balance Setting Information - GoPro Support Hub

It sounds like you really need to consider a computer upgrade. I think that you will continue to encounter problems with playing your edited videos when your editing software requires processing beyond what your current computer is capable of doing.

I figure it will take 20, 480MB SSD drives to copy all of my movies. I have some backup DVD players and another old TV so I should be good for the rest of my years. :wink:

Wow, that's a lot of movies. (I assume you meant Gb not Mb.) I would just make copies only when you want to watch one as it sounds like it might take years to do all that and SSD drives are continually getting cheaper, faster, and larger. So why buy a bunch of 500Gb drives now for $70/ea when in a year or two you might be able to get a 2Tb for the same price? Btw you can get 2Tb drives now that would slash your needs to 5 but they are a bit pricy. Calculate the cost per Gb though.

I have a fairly current computer but if I try to plug a SD card/adaptor into a USB slot and play my Gopro 1080 video on it it will be choppy. I have a USB-c slot and adaptor that can handle the speed and it works fine. I haven't read the everything in this thread but have you tried to load it from the SD card to your hard drive then play it?

Wow, that's a lot of movies. (I assume you meant Gb not Mb.) I would just make copies only when you want to watch one as it sounds like it might take years to do all that and SSD drives are continually getting cheaper, faster, and larger. So why buy a bunch of 500Gb drives now for $70/ea when in a year or two you might be able to get a 2Tb for the same price? Btw you can get 2Tb drives now that would slash your needs to 5 but they are a bit pricy. Calculate the cost per Gb though.

I suppose no matter what I do, the devices will be cheaper and better next year :wink: I was basically going by the current pricing and at this particular moment it looks like 480GB is the most bytes per buck. First I put my Super 8 movies on VHS, then put my VHS and 8mm videos on DVD. Next it looks like I need to put all the DVDs on something else if I want to continue to watch them. I expected the DVD to have become obsolete a few years ago but it wasn't obviuous to me what took it's place.

Meanwhile, just when I thought I had a temporary solution, I ordered a 480GB SSD, USB device, copied a Movie Maker movie made from GoPro files, and the Blu-Ray player does not recognize the SSD drive. It works great with a USB Memory Stick. So now I'm trying to learn the difference. The Memory Sticks are quite big enough and there's not enough room to write on them. I was hoping to just store my underwater movies on the SSD drive(s). I sure don't want to have to copy a movie from my computer to a memory stick whenever I want to watch a video from a dive trip. Of course if I buy a new Smart TV with a USB port then it should all work, right?

I'm still trying to figure out why the USB Memory Stick plays the Movie Maker files on the Blu-Ray but the SSD won't work. And now I have to learn all about Smart TVs. My poor little brain is getting tired.

Edit: Are there SSD drives that are "Flash" drives and some that are not?

I have a fairly current computer but if I try to plug a SD card/adaptor into a USB slot and play my Gopro 1080 video on it it will be choppy. I have a USB-c slot and adaptor that can handle the speed and it works fine. I haven't read the everything in this thread but have you tried to load it from the SD card to your hard drive then play it?

Yes, I wasn't trying to play the files directly from the SD card, but from the HDD. They play fine directly from the Memory Stick or the SSD drive. :) On the computer, that is.

Edit: I should have said that the Movie Maker files play fine from the Memory Stick or SDD or even the HDD. It's the unprocessed Hero8 files that play back choppy. When I started this thread I had not made that progress yet and I owe my success to the education I received in this thread :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom