Hey Texas...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Ladydiver:

This Mobby's Drysyte is an interesting idea. There aren't many opportunities to see drysuits in N. Texas. We don't have that many dealers, and when you do find a dealer they sell so few drysuits that they don't keep any in stock to look at. When I was shopping for a drysuit a few years ago the only suit available to look at was the Mobby's (since their US distributor is local) until the DUI rep made a trip through the area with their product line in tow. My first drysuit dive was in the suit I bought. When I dive locally in my suit it's not uncommon to run into divers who have never seen a drysuit and don't know what it is. The Drysyte program could be a good opportunity for local divers to be introduced to drysuit diving.

With its wide temperature variations and distinct thermoclines Clear Springs Scuba Park is a good place to try a drysuit, but I can't wait to see how they will work this. The owners and operators of the park don't dive. They have a close relationship with a bunch of local shops, but are the shops (or Mobby's) going to provide free instructors for the new drysuit divers? In their press release on Scuba Source Mobby's says, "The concept is like letting a diver test drive a car before they make a purchase." Hmmm, let's carry that analogy further. Last I checked, an unlicensed driver who had never even seen a car before would not be given the keys to take a solo test drive on the open road. Drysuit diving is unlike wetsuit diving. It requires skills that must be taught and learned. It'll be interesting to see how they provide instruction.

Bill

Corsair and I already have that day bookmarked. From what he found out, they are supposed to have a sort of "intro to wetsuit" class. Or at least enough instruction that you can get underwater with someone who knows what they're doing. And even if we're wrong, I've got a new 7mm Henderson that I need to check out. Clear Springs is definately the place to do that!

Seawolf

I'm actually working on the whole family (or as many as have the weekend off work) to get out there. For starters, I really want to see Clear Springs live up to the potential they've shown so far, and secondly because I'm interested in the quality of a drysuit manufacturer who is literally right in our own back yard. I've heard both positives and negatives on Mobbys and I'm looking forward to seeing for myself!

I want to try a dry suit too. But the last time they maid a dry suit in my size it went down in flames, they called it the Hindenburg Dry Suit....

What day is the tryout? Isn't it this Saturday? If so I shall be there to get in a few more dives before I am off to the crystal blue waters of the virgin islands.

Syruss,

The Drysyte opens this weekend, the 13th I believe, but from what I understand, it will be a regular feature at Clear Springs.

The plan as we understand it is there will be a number of dry suits available for rental out there all the time. It is probably the best spot in N. Texas to try one. I had the same questions about proper trainging. Michael and I talked to one of the co-owners about it and they hadn't quite worked out the logistics of it yet. It will be interesting to see how it all goes.

Tom

I will be there on Saturday on the West End of the lake driving a Maroon Tahoe. If I like you stop by and say hello, if I don't like you stop by and leave a 20 spot on the bumper of my Tahoe and I will like you again!

Should be pretty busy out there this weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom