Hi all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKB

New
Reaction score
I am researching dive knife brands just now. I am currently trying to find information on a vintage "Eternal" trademark knife made in Japan with a "gold" looking blade finish. Can anyone offer info on the manufacturer, the alloy of stainless steel, quality level, etc.?

Hello! Welcome to Scubaboard.

@BKB

Also welcome !

I know of no AMERICAN imported dive knife that is gold plated. (FYI I have the majority of all the American dive catalogs since 1952 to about 1985)

In the"vintage" world of diving US Divers was one of the first to import dive equipment from Japan--"Nipon Aqua" was,. as I recall the manufacture of much of the equipment

The defunct dive knife company Wenoka (S) produced a series of "Commemorative" Knives some years ago- I was not interested and never collected as set.

However, I do have two friends who collected sets as a investment (and a Poor investment ) May I suggest that you contact Alex Pearce - who is all over the internet with his "cat & dog show," about vintage equipment

In the event he can not assist you PM me and I will provide the name of the other individual who has been away from organized diving for many years. He may still have a set but I suspect it is packed away as a heir loom

Another fiend is the great vintage Japanese diver/author Tetsu Taguchi. He was collecting dive knives and had a presentable collection. Tetsu as of my last corresponded was living in Sapporo.. Like all of the vintage pre internet/SCUBA board international divers we are aging and for the most part lost contact.

You may want to contact the various Historical Diving Societies around the world. I severed as the first and only "Director of Spors Diving" for the American HDS for a number of years.. There is minimal interest in dive knives within HDS but worth a try ...

Since I am taking my time to answer and provide a lead I would apricate it if you would respond with your investigation of a gold plated dive knife.

It is an intriguing subject

Sam Miller. 111

I am researching dive knife brands just now. I am currently trying to find information on a vintage "Eternal" trademark knife made in Japan with a "gold" looking blade finish. Can anyone offer info on the manufacturer, the alloy of stainless steel, quality level, etc.?

Spyderco Jumpmaster
Ergonmic, sharp serrated, rustproof H1 steel with good kydex sheaf—i highly reccomend it

Spyderco Jumpmaster - Spyderco, Inc.

It is more than likely thst the gold color is not Gold but Titanium Nitride PVD coating which is gold colored. It is a very tough coating. I do not know about this knife though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom