http://www.diveheart.org/

Hi Everybody! Just wanted to share this message.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt the Aquaman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is from one of my Respiratory therapist friends. With his idea, I could be diving later this year! I am definitely ready for this! Thanks for all the support. All you divers ROCK! Take care everyone. Safe diving. Matt :scubadive

Hi Matt
I've give this a lot of thought. From what I have read on your page you alredy know how to do this 1st dive and its not really that complicated. You wrote about the idea of having the vent above water , an inspiratory and expiratory tubing configuration would allow you to be lowered into the water in the dry suit. The Newport people agree with this and have used long tubing successfully. With the arrangement your tidal volume can be monitored and peep applied to splint the tubing, this will keep it from collapsing as well. You can be lowered face first by a hoist and sling this will allow you to move as you can and "swim" below the boat. You will of course need divers in the water with you but you will be free except for the supply lines. I would also include a pulse oximeter with a 30 foot cord which will also be monitored at the boat.

Even if you put the vent in your dry suit you will still need the line from topside or a cylinder in the water. The weight of the vent will also be a factor. Without access to the vent to monitor and reset alarms you will also have a significant noise and worry problem.

With everything topside your dive wont be as limited in time. Secretions will be the biggest problem. I'm still thinking about that but it shouldnt stop the process.

To develop a ventilator for this dive will take some time. The idea you already have with some adjustment will be doable in the summer or fall of this year. By achiving the 1st goal (a dive) the development of a new underwater vent will get a boost.

I got a response from the Minnesota Society for Respiratory Care and they are looking at ways to help, you might want to contact their PR chairman at
suitcaseone@msn.com her name is Sue Shipley.

We are trying to plan a Manatee Dive in October at Chrystal River. It might be something to consider. We will already be arranging the boat and can help with the equipment. My brother and wife are RTs and will be along. Several of my staff RTs also want to go , they are talking about your project everyday. Think about it and let me
know what you think. We would like to be there when you accomplish the "Dream

Gene Gantt CEO
Respiratory Support Services

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Good luck, Matt!

Good luck Matt. We're all with you in this house! :clapping:

-Bill

Congratulations!

I hope you have a great time!

Terry

Matt the Wonder Boy:
I've give this a lot of thought. From what I have read on your page you alredy know how to do this 1st dive and its not really that complicated. You wrote about the idea of having the vent above water , an inspiratory and expiratory tubing configuration would allow you to be lowered into the water in the dry suit. The Newport people agree with this and have used long tubing successfully. With the arrangement your

Hi Matt, I hope it works out too! Will keep you and everyone on the board posted. Take care and safe diving. Matt :dazzler1:

Hi Bill, thanks for the good luck. You divers have been very supportive, you're all awesome. I've got a good feeling that this will for my dive. I see you're a DUI guy, cool. I'm very good friends with DUI's president, she's amazing. Take care and safe diving. Matt :diver:

Matt, that is wonderful news!! I really hope you get the opportunity to take the plunge.

Hi Terry, I will definitely have a good time when I do the dive. Probably the best time of my life. I've been ready for a long time for this. Take care and safe diving. Matt :butnhome:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom