Hi from a newbie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darya3018

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm an 18 year old girl who's planning on getting certified soon! I've always wanted to scuba dive, and I'm really excited to learn soon. I'm a little nervous though, because lots of divers seem to be much older than I am, but I'm willing to be open and learn from more experienced divers!

Welcome aboard.. You are correct about the average age of divers. There are plenty of young adults that dive, but you may have to work a little harder to find them. I have three kids who dive, ages 18, 20, 22. But they mostly dive with me. I have encouraged them to find friends their age to dive with, but they do not seem to be to interested in hanging out on forums. (like this one).. :wink: ...maybe Scubaboard needs a "Youth" or "young adults" sub-forum..

In any case.. If you have not picked your instructor yet, that might be an opportunity. For my kids,, I sought out a young(ish) instructor who had a great reputation.
In my area, you can't swing a stick without hitting a 50yr old Male Dive instructor.. :) With a little more effort you might find one at 1/2 that age. Or maybe even look into classes through a nearby college, or university. That might help you find a network of divers to hang out with.

Hi guys! I'm an 18 year old girl who's planning on getting certified soon! I've always wanted to scuba dive, and I'm really excited to learn soon. I'm a little nervous though, because lots of divers seem to be much older than I am, but I'm willing to be open and learn from more experienced divers!
Welcome Darya.
Nothing to be nerveous about. The aquatic life you will be observing could care less about the age of the observer...
On the other hand, the two girls in our family (one 18, the other my boring, older age) start their OW class in just about a week ... and I am nerveous like heck. So I understand...
Have fun discovering "under water"!

Welcome. Diving is a great experience and it takes you to many fascinating places. Who knows you may even find a career in a related science. I think you will find that divers are so passionate about what they do and see that the age of the other diver doesn't make much of a difference t them.

Welcome and good luck with your future in diving. Don't be concerned with the age thing, I was 17 when I took my open water class now I'm almost 50. Just wish I had dove more in the early years. My son was 14 when he was certified and had a blast. Take your time and choose the best shop/instructor that will suit your needs.
Dive safe!

Hi Darya. My shop just certified 4 divers under 18 this weekend. I'm more than happy to see younger folks enjoy the sport!

Hey Darya! :D I'm a 21 year old girl, so you're not alone when it comes to being young and adventurous! :p This is a great site to find buddies and meet new friends. Another site you could also check out is divebuddy.com :rolleyes: I wish you the best of luck on your diving trips! Of course take lots of pictures and share them with others! :D Out of curiosity where are you from? :D
:scubadiver:

Back
Top Bottom