Hi from KY USA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome aboard! I'm new here too. Must be a surge in the midwest of new divers. Are you going to Pennyroyal or Mermet or someplace else?
I havent been to either but plan to visit each in 2019. I hope to do bonne terre for drysuit training mid to late 2019 as well :)

Which end of KY you live in matters; to the southwest Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort is a good quarry site where a lot of training happens.

If you use Nashville as your airport, as I do, Southwest Airlines flies pretty cheap to Fort Lauderdale, and no baggage fees.

With a land-locked state, time (ideally a 7-day trip, since that's what a lot of people can get off from work, and it helps pack enough in to make the travel time & costs worthwhile) and keeping costs contained become big issues. It's not so practical to 'just' take a weekend 2 or 3 tank boat trip, like someone in eastern coastal Florida or coastal California might.

You got any dive trips or interests lined up? Over time I've taken to factoring costs into my trip reports. If you want to see my solo trip report for Cozumel, a destination known for both fine diving and good budget options, check this out. More on Cozumel.

Another popular option I've read of it Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan.

Whether you're traveling alone, or paying to make one or more people with you, and whether non-divers are along, makes a big different in trip planning.

Richard.
WOW thats some great info! I am in Lexington but am thinking along the same lines as you with quick getaways to FL. I will definitely look in to your solo trip report. I am def interested in that kind of stuff. Southwest flies out of louisville and I will have to look in to that and the no baggage fee because that is appealing. Allegiant does 70-90 one ways from Lexington but they get you on baggage and have to arrive 2 hours early :( Thanks!

How far are you from KY's Natural Bridge SP? That is some beautiful country.

Try contacting the park and see if they have any restrictions on diving the Red River gorge, I know swimming is allowed. It was quite benign when I was there. See if you can find a local diver who knows the area?

I backpack and camp this area frequently. Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge area are great but i have never thought of it as a dive spot. Thats a great idea for me to look in to. Thanks! I love how active the community is with my post. I had no idea I was going to get so many replies :)

I did the trails for several days with an experienced 'guide' (brother) who goes there every year just to decompress. Usually, April or early May when the wildflowers are going crazy. I need to go back. So much to see.

I never imagined bringing dive gear until I crossed the swinging bridge (needs work) and went to 'jump rock'. [No, I didn't. I have grown older and wiser] But Lordy would I love to explore that immense boulder from the bottom...

You could easily become an expert on something that nobody on the board knows anything about. (Not so subtle encouragement to become a local diver) Take pix. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom