Hi Viz lines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nasser

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone using them on your primary Wreck/Cave reels (or shooting a bag)? Looking at a new primary and a jump/safety line... was wondering if it's worth checking out? Seems like a good idea.

I use hi-vis super strong dynema line on my reel. It is a "million" times more cut resistant than the typical cheap line people typically use on their reels. I think it is 600 lb test too.

Last month, I used my buddy's reel with the high viz Dacron line to run the team's primary and liked how easy it was to see in a cave and how the line seem to behave...not as "twisty" upon itself, for lack of a better description.

Ordered 1000 ft of it from Dive Gear Express that day and spent a Friday night at home re-spooling all my reels, safety, and jump spools with the high viz line. Yes, who else but a diver would spend their Friday night re-spooling. [emoji1]

Have been using my new hi viz spools and reels since. Today's buddy commented on how much he liked my high viz reel during our dive debrief.

I haven't been on a wreck with them yet but would imagine they would be just as good for wrecks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
IMG_0418.jpgSeeker.jpg

I use orange Dacron for everything, it well worth the investment. I also get a least 40% more line onto my reels/spools.

View attachment 207297View attachment 207298

I use orange Dacron for everything, it well worth the investment. I also get a least 40% more line onto my reels/spools.

D'oh, my bad. Reading this post made me look back at my invoice and it was in fact the DGX Hi-Viz Dacron line that I ordered.

Sorry for confusion. I should know better than to post way past my bedtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct in that Dacron is less "twisty" and the line also does not stretch in water resulting in "tight" cave-line work :cool2: Support divers on deep dives love the visibility of the orange Dacron, compared to the traditional white line. They also know which line is mine during descent. Looking up along my line confirmed this for me as I can see the Dacron a lot further than the white stuff.

Dacron is nearly half the size in thickness with the same amount of strength, it is a fantastic tool IMO. I have seen other lines similar to Dacron but thicker and less resilient/durable to wear/tear. On the topic of durability, Dacron is extremely durable and great for abrasive environments like wreck/cave.

My Hollis Seeker (400ft version) in previous post holds 600ft/180m of Dacron.

I've been using high vis orange line for years. At first it helped make my lines stand out from the web of lines at popular sites. Now everyone is using orange line. Maybe I should go back to white so mine are different. But there are lots of colors available now, including rainbow.

Thanks for the feedback - I think I'll be using them.

BTW that Hollis 400ft sidewinder is actually the one I'm considering... that or the Light Monkey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom