Hidden Gems! (some links to cool info)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some threads on this website are absolute GEMS!
Some threads just keep getting "bumped" (bumping is when you reply to an old thread to bring it back to the top of the Recent Posts list). They get bumped because they're interesting or useful, and people just keep referring to them.
Some threads are "stickies" in one of the hundreds of forums here on Scubaboard. Where do you begin to look?
Do you sometimes wish there were a place where you could park your favorite threads? Do you like exploring but are overwhelmed by the sheer variety of posts?

As a starter, here is a short list of a few of my favorite "hidden gems." I keep coming back to them.

Neutral buoyancy:
Master Neutral Buoyancy: The Importance of Horizontal Trim (Simple Vector Physics) - ScubaBoard
This great article by @The Chairman gets you headed in the right direction!

Regulator Checklist Sticky:
Checklist (Rev-8)
@couv 's great resource to confirm that your regs are ready to go before you pack up for a dive trip.

Homebrew Dive Log pages:
Free Dive Log Pages- Download PDF HERE
Free Dive Log Pages
Log Book Template In Excel
Home made log book pages
Looking to print your own dive logs? There are some options.

DAN Technical Diving Workshop Proceedings:
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/files/Tech_Proceedings_Feb2010.pdf
A great discussion of some advanced topics on decompression theory. And for a famous (on Scubaboard at least) video of one of our local expert's (@Dr Simon Mitchell 's) lectures on decompression controversies, try this great link:

Interested in regulator maintenance and repair?
I'm considering my own regulator maintenance
If you're thinking about servicing your own regulators, this thread will help you decide if it's right for you, and get you started in the right direction. The first dozen posts are "spot on" for helpful advice and links.
Then start perusing this forum:
Repairing your own Gear

Tired of your local dive shop making you pay for an early VIS inspection because you brought your own tank in completely empty?
If you know that you didn't contaminate your tank with humid outside air, and it's just empty, how about this quick and inexpensive way to add some air to qualify for a refill? Do not try this if you aren't sure of the concepts:
Tank Equalizer for $2.50
Also a great way to get your empty pony thru TSA and down to Cozumel, and refillable at the other end!

If you have some "hidden gems", go to your favorite thread, then copy and paste the link from the top of your browser page into a reply to this thread.
Add a short description of the thread's appeal to you, and bingo! We might have the beginning of a compendium of useful stuff.

I can't find it now, but I remember there was an useful one about a first aid kit for divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom