High blood pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I went to the doctors the other day and was told that I have high blood pressure. I am 21 years old and in good shape. I eat A LOT of salt, so that may be the reason. Anyway, does diving have any negative effects if one has high blood pressure?

Thanks!

I went to the doctors the other day and was told that I have high blood pressure. I am 21 years old and in good shape. I eat A LOT of salt, so that may be the reason. Anyway, does diving have any negative effects if one has high blood pressure?

Thanks!
Talk to your Doctor.
It goes both ways; highblood pressure can have negative effects on diving also. What kind of numbers are you talking about? Do you do cardio workouts?
About a year and a half ago my pressure was around 144/90 and my Dr. wanted to put me on meds. I ask him to give me a year to try and fix it myself. I lift weights but did little cardio. I started a cardio program (nothing real intensive) and it now is steady at 110/68-70. I still use quite a bit of salt (sea salt) which tastes better by the way. Still hasn't affected my BP. :eyebrow:

A high sodium diet is one of a number of dietary risk factors for hypertension. Alcohol, potassium, and vitamin D intake might also be factors. Then there is obesity, stress, and a sedentary lifestyle, which I guess aren't problems in your case. High blood pressure is pretty common among the general population, particularly in scuba diving's older demographic, and I doubt it is an impediment to diving in most cases.

You'd probably get a better, more authoritative answer from one of the doctors in the medical forum, or through a search.

Depth/pressure has any correlating effect on one's blood pressure? like , maybe if your 145/90 on the surface (borderline hypertensive but not immediately dangerous) but then at say 100' your 175/110 ? (an may not realize it)

Or maybe its not depth/pressure itself that may increase BP but the stress/activity level that may be accompying it ?

jus' wonderin'...

I believe my BP was something like 165/90. The doctor said it was "impressive" that a 21 year old had such high blood pressure. So you really know it's not good when the doctor is impressed lol.
I'm a full time student and don't have much time to work out, but I try to swim regularly. I used to swim on a team for about 6 years, so I usually swim a mile. More cardio may not be the problem, but I'm getting a blood work done this week to make sure the issue isn't cholesterol-related.

I'll try searching around a bit before I post another thread for the doctors.

Thanks again!

Hi Everyone,
Good question concerning hypertension, i.e. high blood pressure.
I am a beginning diver and hope to be certified first weekend in December. I'm 57 years old with a 30 year genetic history of essential type I hypertension. High Blood Pressure runs in my Mother's family. Till recently my average hpb has been 170/100. Waaaay to high. It has been as high as 214/124. I work out, treadmill, aerobics, free weights and haven't had salt in 30 years. However, keeping the salt away is almost impossible. I am suppose to be on a daily 2,000 mg limit of sodium. Just one processed meal can have over 1,200 mg. A glass of V-8, remember that's a healthy drink!, can have up to 800+ mg's of sodium.
As soon as I signed up for diving classes I also joined DAN. Their medical personnel from Duke University gave me a 45 minute interview (all for the small price of joining). The major concern with depth diving is the greater pressure on the arteries in the legs. The deeper pressure forces the blood pressure up in the body core (torso).
Through new medications my blood pressure is almost normal. I's down to 130/90. I've lost 50 pounds and have been swimming in preparation for certification.
Diving is my reward for losing weight. By March I hope to beginning taking additional classes in preparation for advanced certification next year. So I have about six months to get in better shape.
Cut the salt, run your ass off, eat healthy and get in better shape. I started having bp problems when I was 25 years old. Don't let it get ahead of you. Act now.
Robert C. Peurifoy

With High blood pressure it is very important to know the cause and not try and guess what is causing it. Monitoring it regularly is a good start. I am 47 and have had high blood pressure for for as many years as I can remember, younger than you, actually my BP flucuates like crazy. My wife says it is my diet and the....eh......few extra pounds I carry around however a look back at my charts shows my pressure to be it's highest when I am in my best shape and at my lightest. All of my colesterol numbers are spot on.

After a lot of testing it was determined mine is stress related. I am a classic type A+++ personality so thats not going to change. We ended up using a mild ace inhibitor and it works great. My BP is now spot on.

My advice is not to guess at what is causing it but find out for sure then address the issue.

Good Luck

I believe my BP was something like 165/90. The doctor said it was "impressive" that a 21 year old had such high blood pressure. So you really know it's not good when the doctor is impressed lol.
I'm a full time student and don't have much time to work out, but I try to swim regularly. I used to swim on a team for about 6 years, so I usually swim a mile. More cardio may not be the problem, but I'm getting a blood work done this week to make sure the issue isn't cholesterol-related.

I'll try searching around a bit before I post another thread for the doctors.

Thanks again!

I wouldn't take having your BP measured as 165/90 to mean your BP is actually 165/90 if you understand what I'm saying. Had you just read your bank statement and discovered you'd only got ten dollars for the rest of the month ? Was the receptionist way cute ? Did a dog growl at you on the sidewalk on the way in ?

You're 21 for goodness sake. Stay fit, enjoy life and change your doctor for one who starts measuring it when you're 30 (or if you get obese) :shakehead:. But sure, cut down the salt, and don't drink too much. Enjoy your diving.

Whatever you do, do not discount it or fail to take it seriously due to being only 21 years of age. You and your doctor are doing the right thing to try to figure out what is going on. High blood pressure, left uncontrolled, can and will kill you sooner or later. It can be very effectively treated and should not affect your ability to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom