High endurance velcro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
One of my 5mm booties refuses to stay zipped up. The flapping drives me nuts, but they're otherwise great. They fit well, and the fins fit them well, plenty of life left.

They don't have the velcro tab to hold the zipper shut, so I'm thinking I'll fix that. But does anyone know of a quality brand/source for velcro that will hold up to salt water and frequent on-off use? Don't need much obviously, which may make it even more difficult.

I've also been considering small fastex buckles. Open to other ideas, as well!

But does anyone know of a quality brand/source for velcro that will hold up to salt water and frequent on-off use?

Looks like you might be a skydiver from your profile picture. Recommend checking with your local DZ’s rigger for their advice and help.

They probably have the right machines and webbing handy to sew on any straps/Velcro easily too. If something like this is too much of a challenge for them, find a new rigger.

Almost forgot - bring beer.

Lance

You don't need heavy duty velcro for this application, you just need nylon backed velcro. Use dental floss or nylon thread to hand stitch a small square on one side of the zipper and and a velcro tag on the other side...think less of this as keeping the zipper tab folded down and more as barrier to keep the zipper slider from descending.

When new divers/students as me for advice on boots, I generally tell them two things, buy a half size to a full size larger than a perfect fit as it will make taking the booties off after a dive easier, and don't buy booties without that velcro tab for the zipper.

-Z

I'm not so worried about hold strength, for all the reasons mentioned. Just doesn't matter. I'm worried about putting something on that after five dives in Salt water will no longer secure at all, and require replacement. I'm hoping somebody can relate experience with a specific product regarding longevity in a diving environment. Finding "good" velcro isn't too difficult, but I don't immediately trust something for long term use underwater just because it holds up well on surface gear, y'know?

You can use Velcro blousing straps to keep zipper up.

You can use Velcro blousing straps to keep zipper up.

There's a creative solution I didn't think of! I've got oodles of boot bands somewhere. Kind of a pain to carry extra junk, but they'll find home in the dive kit for the "just in case." Thanks!

I'm not so worried about hold strength, for all the reasons mentioned. Just doesn't matter. I'm worried about putting something on that after five dives in Salt water will no longer secure at all, and require replacement. I'm hoping somebody can relate experience with a specific product regarding longevity in a diving environment. Finding "good" velcro isn't too difficult, but I don't immediately trust something for long term use underwater just because it holds up well on surface gear, y'know?

You are overthinking this. Dive gear manufacturers are not using special unobtanium velcro...they are using normal nylon (plastic) backed velcro. The biggest issue you will have with any nylon backed velcro is the effect that UV rays have on it as UV will cause it to degrade, the seawater will not have any more of an affect on it than freshwater....water logged velcro tends to not stay together as well. What is more important, once you obtain nylon backed velcro, is to use a good synthetic thread, mercerized cotton will degrade quickly. Dental floss is strong, available, easy to work with and fits the bill on all accounts, so no need to go out and buy a spool of nylon thread unless you really want to or have a need for it for other projects.

-Z

You are overthinking this. Dive gear manufacturers are not using special unobtanium velcro...they are using normal nylon (plastic) backed velcro. The biggest issue you will have with any nylon backed velcro is the effect that UV rays have on it as UV will cause it to degrade, the seawater will not have any more of an affect on it than freshwater....water logged velcro tends to not stay together as well. What is more important, once you obtain nylon backed velcro, is to use a good synthetic thread, mercerized cotton will degrade quickly. Dental floss is strong, available, easy to work with and fits the bill on all accounts, so no need to go out and buy a spool of nylon thread unless you really want to or have a need for it for other projects.

-Z

You'll have to forgive me if "manufacturers just use X" doesn't convince me it's the best choice for a given application :p

I'm traveling for the next several weeks, so I figured there's no harm in asking folks for advice on their experiences with specific products. If "regular stuff" is the best the market has to offer, that's fine. But if I'm going to spend the next several weeks isolated from the rest world, I won't be able to implement *any* fix. So I'm going to query the hive mind in case somebody's got advice that could direct me to a solution that's even marginally better than "just use whatever."

If you'd like to remind me why I'm taking the topic too far again, I'm sure I can hot glue on some surplus velcro, and that will work fine. I sincerely believe you. But I'm going to continue "over thinking this," in case there's a better solution available.

I've come across enough shoddy quality velcro in benign applications to know that not just "any" velcro will work fine for this application. Enough barely works in ideal conditions, it seems prudent to look for a winner.

You'll have to forgive me if "manufacturers just use X" doesn't convince me it's the best choice for a given application :p

I'm traveling for the next several weeks, so I figured there's no harm in asking folks for advice on their experiences with specific products. If "regular stuff" is the best the market has to offer, that's fine. But if I'm going to spend the next several weeks isolated from the rest world, I won't be able to implement *any* fix. So I'm going to query the hive mind in case somebody's got advice that could direct me to a solution that's even marginally better than "just use whatever."

If you'd like to remind me why I'm taking the topic too far again, I'm sure I can hot glue on some surplus velcro, and that will work fine. I sincerely believe you. But I'm going to continue "over thinking this," in case there's a better solution available.

So you are essentially asking for advice/information from a pool of people that you don't know and have no reason to trust, and when you get that advice you just reject it as not being good enough.

You are not seeking advice, you are seeking confirmation.

Anyone can come on here and state they are the textile subject matter expert for whatever diving company and after strict scientific research they have come to the conclusion that x-brand velcro is the product you need to be using.

The reality is you have no way to verify the veracity of their claim any more than the advice I have provided in my previous post.

If your ability to enjoy or successfully make it to the end of your planned dive trip depends on what velcro you should sew onto your booties then you need a psychiatrist/psychologist more than you need advice from an internet forum....or you can just save the money on therapy and just buy a set of booties that have the features you want/need and maintain the mentality that manufacturer has invested lots of time and effort into thinking about that component of their product on your behalf.

Have fun on your trip and let us know how it all works out for you.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom