High oil prices vs diving vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has the record high price of oil ( average about $100/barrel) causing you to rethink your diving vacation plans? I have been checking prices and not only the fees for the diving have shot up (over $300 for one week on the boat) but when you add in the increased prices of airfare, hotel, food and other things then the trip I took 2 years ago is almost $1000 more. You can still find some specials to Mexico but the costs to fly and stay in Grand Cayman is really high (some say it's the bill for having to repair all the damage from storms in the last few seasons). I priced a trip to Grand Cayman vs Hawaii for a week from Houston and Hawaii was cheaper by $600 for me and the wife. I thinking about not flying this year and trying to book on the Spree or the Fling (their prices have also shot way up) and dive the flower gardens in June.

no, not at all. there are many other reasons besides gas which caused me to rethink my vacation plans. If its really effecting you that bad, man you have problems. Has airfare really gone up? Maybe to the Caymans but in the U.S. I havent really noticed any difference if you plan ahead.

Airlines are actually dropping their prices lately.

no, not at all. there are many other reasons besides gas which caused me to rethink my vacation plans. If its really effecting you that bad, man you have problems. Has airfare really gone up? Maybe to the Caymans but in the U.S. I havent really noticed any difference if you plan ahead.

Agreed. Pricing RT airfare from Jersey to Florida, it would cost me the same, if not a little more to drive there in my Escape. Just did a trip to Bonaire in February and RT air was about 6 bills. Not too shabby.

Dude, buy some Exxon stock, go on vaca, and become a self fullfilling prophecy...

It has me reconsidering this summer's plans. Airfare has gone up significantly for me. Last year I could get tickets from IAH-CZM roundtrip midweek for $238 plus taxes. When I checked in December it had gone up to $280 for same time period. I thought I would hold out for prices to drop and now it is $373. For a family of 4 that's almost $600 more right off the bat.

It certainly has affected my thoughts on travel, although there are still good airfares available to some of my desired destinations. However, based on what I see here on Catalina I think the increased gas (and food, etc.) costs are affecting the pocketbooks of divers who would normally come out to the island. Certainly there is a lot less disposable income for dive travel if you are paying $5.18 per gallon as I did last time I filled up. Good thing the Dr. Bill Mobile gets 70 mpg!

I am thinking of trading my truck for those tiny ford fiesta. As far as diving vacation is concerned, it is going to be in the US... or not very far from the US soil. We really should keep our money in our economy, or at least at our next door neighbors. No reason to increase carbon dioxide emission for my pleasure.

Don't know about other parts of the world, but you get a GREAT exchange rate for your dollar here on Bonaire. For every $1.00 you get 1.78 florin.... This keeps the prices stable here on Bonaire for the Americans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom