High PO2 near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My shearwater is terrified of the air in my living room, as it has a pO2 of 0.18 (I live at ~6000 ft) and so it is always warning me of the critically low pO2. So yeah, I can see a problem with that.

A CCR diver must know his PO2 at any time. Absolutely right and of fundamental importance.
We could establish that OC divers equally must be monitoring their pressure and which mix they were diving, it however often results in OOA situations or hyperoxic dive accidents.

I'm diving on Shearwater computers myself, prior I was using CCR on wired PO2 monitors only. My experience is, that monitoring is a full time job under water and as it is part of the activity its the survival-strategy. Similar to a manual parachute jump where the height over ground is the value to monitor.

The problem with audible alarms normally starts if multiple computers are used and the diver cant identify which of the units is giving off this annoying beeping sound- further (as mentioned earlier) paranoid computer alarms have a tendency to be ignored.

However, my experience is that an audible feedback could be very useful. A defective mask in ice cold water does not leave a choice other than bailout on a CCR increasing the hypothermic effect breathing OC. Same applies to stress situations such as rescuing a buddy.

Personally, I was impressed with the audible altitude sounds used on hanggliders. I checked one device a friend is using for this purpose and he is able to clearly define himself the sound and pitch- making the climb rate clear at any time.

I could imagine giving the shearwater an audible feature which one can freely program as a backup for better safety. Eg. a short beep on a PO2 > 1,6 every 5 seconds and every second >1,8. In times of CAN such could be a addon-unit. Would wish such implementation to save my loop in times where the HUD disappeares behind a cloud of heavy siltout or simply activate it on my GFs (girl-friend, not gradient-factor :wink: unit to help me monitoring.

Spite the fact that shearwater now targets the sport-divers with the AI model and air-integration the hardware implementation of a sounder would make perfect sense to me. As long I can deactivate it.

Wrapping up- I would wish to have an intelligent audible feedback which I can define in the parameter set and toggle on/off in the dive-menu- Stupid alarm sounders which just beep the crap out of you for a short O2 hit cant serve the purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom