High pressure street elbows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
The project: Got a haskel mini booster and found a Harbor Freight Pelican clone that it fits in. Just enough room to coil the hoses and close the lid. The problem is the high pressure lines are perpendicular to the piston and that makes them too wide.

What I need is a pair of 1/4" NPT street elbows so I can angle the quick connects to be parallel to the piston. After that I can put this package together and actually bolt the booster into the case. I just spent an hour searching for high pressure street elbows. Not going to get the brass stuff from the local hardware store. What is the good source that I am overlooking? I am sure there is a go to place for this stuff but I am not finding it right now. Probably searching wrong.

The two places I know are wholesale only, Global and A Plus Marine. If you can’t find a source talk to your LDS. And you are right, in their catalogs the brass fittings are rated for lower pressures than steel.

The project: Got a haskel mini booster and found a Harbor Freight Pelican clone that it fits in. Just enough room to coil the hoses and close the lid. The problem is the high pressure lines are perpendicular to the piston and that makes them too wide.

What I need is a pair of 1/4" NPT street elbows so I can angle the quick connects to be parallel to the piston. After that I can put this package together and actually bolt the booster into the case. I just spent an hour searching for high pressure street elbows. Not going to get the brass stuff from the local hardware store. What is the good source that I am overlooking? I am sure there is a go to place for this stuff but I am not finding it right now. Probably searching wrong.
http://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/NPTF-Pipe-90-Street-Elbow-p/5502.htm

your local hydraulic supply company should have them. If you are going to be putting ANYTHING in that booster that did not come from distillation, and arguably even if you are, please consider putting a filter on there like the manufacturers suggest.
You can see in my case that there is an elbow into a square block which is a swagelok filter assembly, then another elbow to come up to the QF4. There is a 0.5um filter cartridge in there now, but the recommendation is either 1um or 5um, I can't remember. Protects all of the valves and the piston

46507925_10161048610025134_197324356789993472_o.jpg

That looks to be a huge all in one booster. I am going more compact. Just the booster in the case. Either my 5HP shop compressor at home or off my old open circuit tanks in the field. I'm thinking about one feature I don't see on yours, an hour meter. A pressure switch on the drive air closing the contacts on a meter.

Looking around the Hydraulicsdirect site I think I found my issue. I was searching only Stainless fittings which are 10X the cost of regular. Do I need stainless? I don't see why I would? I am only pumping dry clean gasses.

That looks to be a huge all in one booster. I am going more compact. Just the booster in the case. Either my 5HP shop compressor at home or off my old open circuit tanks in the field. I'm thinking about one feature I don't see on yours, an hour meter. A pressure switch on the drive air closing the contacts on a meter.

Looking around the Hydraulicsdirect site I think I found my issue. I was searching only Stainless fittings which are 10X the cost of regular. Do I need stainless? I don't see why I would? I am only pumping dry clean gasses.
I don't use stainless fittings, but I do use stainless tube.

I use stainless, but there is no problem with steel, but I never ever mix the 2.

I use stainlesssteelfittings.com,

Stainlessadpters.com is a fraction of the price of everyone else. I'm using them to supply Navy fittings.

@broncobowsher correct, it's a beast, but it's fully self contained, just need 110v and the compressor is actually quieter than the booster believe it or not.
The compressor is rated for continuous duty and I boost very small quantities of gas so putting an hour meter on there is probably not all the valuable to me, but may stick it on there eventually.

Since my unit is portable, I used all stainless fittings, including the adapters into the head. Less risk of any rust getting into the booster, but more importantly for external rust since it is a portable unit, mainly used in Florida which is very humid. Does it matter? Probably not. Swagelok SS street elbow was $20, brass was $9. Didn't bother getting a carbon steel quote because $30 was pretty irrelevant in the cost of that box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom