High price of PNG airfare...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all, I just priced a ticket from New York to PNG/Manus for what is considered the high season-July. It was $3095 round trip through Singapore. Ouch. All the gateway cities to Moresby are about the same price-about $1500-$1700, with a further destination in country. Going through Austrailia was even more, due to their touch down tax. I paid about $2500 last year and the year before that it was about $2000. This 20+% yearly increase is #$%! ridiculous. Anybody had luck getting a better deal from the U.S.? Thanks, -Andy

My wife and I went through PTN and wound up with the following:
SFO to Cairns and back: $1544.90 each
Cairns to Port Moresby to Walindi plus Rabaul to Port Moresby to Cairns: $1059 each.
That means $2600 each out of SFO to PNG via Cairns, but we're set for a 3 day cruise on the way to PNG with Mike Ball and then a 10 day cruise (one way, Walindi to Rabaul) in PNG with Peter Hughes. Plus, we're going to bum around Cairns a bit on the way home.

Yes, that's pretty brutal. But somehow it doesn't burn me up so much as paying $800-$1000 each time we run back and forth between SFO and Little Cayman (which we do several times a year).

Bruce

silent running:
Hello all, I just priced a ticket from New York to PNG/Manus for what is considered the high season-July. It was $3095 round trip through Singapore. Ouch. All the gateway cities to Moresby are about the same price-about $1500-$1700, with a further destination in country. Going through Austrailia was even more, due to their touch down tax. I paid about $2500 last year and the year before that it was about $2000. This 20+% yearly increase is #$%! ridiculous. Anybody had luck getting a better deal from the U.S.? Thanks, -Andy

You might try "Trip-N-Tour", I have previously used them for Australia and PNG.

check with Theresa at Emerson travel. Honolulu 808-597-1818. She recently quoted me an amazing fare to Bali.

catherine96821:
check with Theresa at Emerson travel. Honolulu 808-597-1818. She recently quoted me an amazing fare to Bali.

Thanks for the info everybody. Catherine, I will try the Honolulu agent. I'll try anything at this point, including the transporter at the Star Trek convention... -Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom