Higher capacity batteries in strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a legal "cover your ass" I'm sure the corporate lawyers made them add.
It is possible, unlikely...but possible, the strobe could explode if flooded and extreme shorting caused a pressure build up.
Does flooding happen? Sure, all the time with dive electronics. :(:facepalm: Have there been explosions? :gas: Never heard of one happening.

That's a legal "cover your ass" I'm sure the corporate lawyers made them add.
It is possible, unlikely...but possible, the strobe could explode if flooded and extreme shorting caused a pressure build up.
Does flooding happen? Sure, all the time with dive electronics. :(:facepalm: Have there been explosions? :gas: Never heard of one happening.
Underwater Flash Units Recalled by Nikon

I am the one who sold you that strobe, and used 2700mah powerex batteries in it for years without issues.

Well, now I have. :poke:
That's certainly an oldie. :)
There were no specifics about how and why there was a gas build up. I suspect flooding, not simple use of NiMh. 10's of thousands of UW photogs have been using Eneloops for over a decade with good results. Many of the big name strobe companies recommend them, specifically.
Flood electronics, everything changes. :confused:

Well, now I have. :poke:
That's certainly an oldie. :)
There were no specifics about how and why there was a gas build up. I suspect flooding, not simple use of NiMh. 10's of thousands of UW photogs have been using Eneloops for over a decade with good results. Many of the big name strobe companies recommend them, specifically.
Flood electronics, everything changes. :confused:
Yep, flooding is the issue. That is why strobes are vented...
CPSC & Sea & Sea Underwater Photography Recall Underwater Strobes

Vented? How can they be vented and still waterproof? Some kind of pressure relief maybe? I've never read/seen any mention of such a feature on any strobe. I have experience with a number of Sea n Sea and Inon.

There are several ways to vent without water transport. Think GoreTex. Teflon film has really good gas transport properties and it (or some other PTFE, sorry Mr. DuPont) is used in the Sea and Sea Cap. Inon has a similar construct (I haven't torn one apart). that I suspect uses PTFE or similar (silicone might work as well).

Bill

I think the Nikon recall was because of explosions on land, underwater it should be totally unconsequential.
Bill

The higher capacity NiMH batteries that are not low internal resistance at least in my hands using a computer controlled batter tester that simulated an Inon Z240 charging circuit did not yield anywhere near as many flashes as a lower powered eneloop. Experimentally at least I tested some 2700 mAh batteries (new and fully charged) and they actually made about 30% fewer flashes than 2100 mAh Eneloops. The higher capacity ones of course are better for low current constant light use (like a video monitor back) but in my tests not for high current uses like charging capacitors in a strobe.
Bill
I do not have the same results using the same brand LSD vs Normal NiMh. Generally the mAh is what determines capacity. Of course there are many batteries that do not keep a constant current when discharging and at the end even if they have some charge they do less shots.
Eneloop resistance is around 20% less than other NiMh but as heat goes with the square of the current they actually get hotter draining more current however they hold the heat better.
The wording on the inon website Not all Ni-MH batteries are confirmed compatible as some "conventional" or "high-capacity" NiMH rechargeable batteries have significant self-discharge and heat-generating characteristic causing difficulty to keep their performance during usage. Only when "eneloop" or "eneloop pro" batteries are not available, use good quality of Ni-MH rechargeable battery having less problem described above.
Does not mean that eneloop run cooler but that withstand the heat better. Eventually also an eneloop may overheat and I had a set on my last trip boiling up and ending up in the bin. Still it does not make sense to use anything different as other NiMh would not last 1 or 2 years once in storage with similar performance.
So eneloop run hot but last longer nonethless and remain the best battery you can buy for a strobe if you want to power a mouse or low current device nothing beats Lithium simply because they get above 3500 maH (but have lower currents)

There are several ways to vent without water transport. Think GoreTex. Teflon film has really good gas transport properties and it (or some other PTFE, sorry Mr. DuPont) is used in the Sea and Sea Cap. Inon has a similar construct (I haven't torn one apart). that I suspect uses PTFE or similar (silicone might work as well).

Bill
Teflon? Seems like just a spring loaded pressure relief valve...

My flooded sea & sea strobe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom