Highest certification level - Please explain.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solo is higher than rescue, but most dive shops think otherwise.

I know I should know, but is Rescue a prerequisite for Solo? Well, OK I don't have to know since Solo is not PADI. So, is Self Reliant higher than Rescue?

Rescue can sit off to the side on rec. prerequisite chains. Such as not always being required for Master Scuba diver. Naui master does not require rescue, but all their levels have rescue parts. SDI and Padi master require rescue.

Rescue is often recommended to take early.
Solo/Self Reliant usually has AOW and 100 dives as a prereq. Infer from that what you will.

Prerequisites:

PADI Self Reliant Diver - 18 years old, AOW, 100 dives

PADI Rescue - 12 years old, UW Navigation, Emergency First Responder within 24 months (CPR and First Aid).

12 years old for a Rescue cert......to me that screams get Solo/Self-Reliant Diver. Do we really expect a 12 yr old to have the ability to "rescue" an adult diver? Not inferring that the Rescue course only teaches how to rescue others because in fact it's more about awareness of your surroundings and other divers and how to self-rescue/prevent incidents. I understand partially why you'd want a 12 yr old to take the course for those reasons, but at the same time, they're never going to diving without an adult anyway, which to me says the adult should have the Solo/Self-Reliant Diver cert AND Rescue.

I am often asked what my highest certification level is. So is solo higher than rescue?
This question would be much clearer, and easier to answer across multiple agencies, if you separate the concept of "certification" from "training."

What is your highest training level? That may or may not correspond to a certification level.

Another thing that makes it difficult to answer is what means "highest?" Gives you the most freedom in how you dive? Allows you to go the deepest? Cost the most? Has the most prestige? Prettiest card? Instructor with the most celebrity status?

Another thing that makes the question difficult to answer is...who is asking it? Someone curious about scuba? A diver operator on a waiver?

Paraphrasing H.L. Mencken: For every complex question there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom