Hin Daeng and Hin Muang dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
Hin Daeng and Hin Muang dive sites

Leaving a live-a-board out of the equation, where do you recommend I base myself to dive these dive sites in Thailand, can someone relate their experiences and what to, how they are dived, how many times and if it's worth it?

Thanks!

Hi Steve,
What do you make of this that I found online?

'Hin Daeng is one of the best dive sites in all of Thailand! It is very famous for the great chance of spotting giant Manta Rays. It is not far from other world class dive sites such as Hin Muang. Apart from Manta Rays, the marine life is excellent with Grey reef Sharks and Leopard sharks. If you are very lucky you can also spot a Whale Shark! The current can be strong so it is better to be an advanced diver here. The site is located about 50 km south of Ko Lanta (2 hours by boat) or 1 hour 20 minutes by speedboat from Koh Phi Phi. It is possible to go there on a day trip or during a liveaboard. The spot is also called Red Rock.'

There used to be trips from Phi Phi, but that was very irregular. They may have resumed them, I'm not sure to be honest, but even if, it will be difficult to plan.

Koh Lanta is your only realistic option.

This would be a very long trip from Phi Phi and there would need to be enough experienced divers wishing to go on the day for th shop to run the trip.

Ko Lanta is an extremely beautiful island , we stayed and dived with scubafish several times and loved it. This is a big boat trip , so takes three hours there and back. But it is very comfy with lots if nice food , even a toaster ! Saw our first mantas ever in Hin D and Hin M , they are beautiful sites.

Looking at something different for a moment:

I just noticed there are short live-a-boards in Thailand one called the MV Giamani liveaboard, they offer 2-4 day trips. They have a 4 day this Jan that might fit our schedule, going to "Similan - Bon - Tachai - Surin - Richelieu". Says they pickup :

Hotel pick ups as follows (all times approximate):
Surin & Bangtao: 13:45
Kamala & Kalim:14:00
Patong Beach:14.30
Kata & Karon Beach:15.00
16:00: Board boat in Chalong
Sunset: Boat briefing then departure.:

I assume this is for people staying in Phuket then? I don't think we want to stay in Phuket. Are there any short liveaboards like this but Koh Lanta. or Phi Phi or another smaller place like them? I could see maybe combining a land based dive stay and a short liveaboard.

If you don't fancy Phuket, have a look at Khao Lak for liveaboards to Similans. You can fly into Phuket and then a couple of hours north by road.

Lanta is definitely worth a look tho' - beautiful island and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang can be amazing. Koh Ha is worth a couple of days diving too, and you can dive Phi Phi from Lanta easily too. I think the Hin Daeng trips from Phi Phi are very few and far between these days... If you fancy Lanta, fly into Krabi...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom